Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

IE7-Changes.

by chucker111 / October 19, 2006 12:32 PM PDT

I've been reading several posts with questions about changes in the members set-up after installing the new IE7.Makes mequestion whether or not to install it myself.Even though there seem to be some advantages to the new program,I've grown accustomed to easily navigating around IE6 even though popular opinion says it is antiquated and outdated.For example:there is of course a header bar at the top of the page withfollowing buttons:forward,back,stop,refresh,fav.,history,print,etc...underneath is another bar,I guess the google My Search bar.It has 5 columns which you can put 10 sites each and go to just by clicking on.It's like having 50 my favorite buttons all organized.I use about 15 or 20 of these daily.Does anyone know if that would be LOST if I install the new IE7?Thanks for reading such a long entry.All or any help appreciated.Chucker.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE7-Changes.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE7-Changes.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Somewhat...
by John.Wilkinson / October 19, 2006 12:56 PM PDT
In reply to: IE7-Changes.

The IE interface has been completely redesigned, making the buttons, address bar, etc locked into their respective positions. For reference, click here to see the new layout. That's something you would have to adjust to. In addition, not all toolbars may be compatible with IE7 yet, another thing to take into consideration.

I'd say download/install it and give it a shot. If you don't like it you can uninstall it and revert to the way it was before.

John

Collapse -
Re.-Somewhat.
by chucker111 / October 20, 2006 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Somewhat...

Thank you very much for your informative answer,John.I don't like the looks of the NEW IE7 page.And,like I said,if a user of IE6 is satisfied with it,why change?Would it be a good idea to download it,see if it is more user-friendly than it looks,and if not,just uninstall and switch back?Also,if someone would change back to IE6,would they lose out on the NEW security promised with IE7 or can you utilize the security seperately?Thanks in advance for any helpful answers.The mods of this forum are always so accesible and helpful.Thanks,Chucker.

Collapse -
It would be lost...
by John.Wilkinson / October 20, 2006 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Re.-Somewhat.

Your homepage, favorites, etc would remain intact through the upgrade to IE7 and subsequent downgrade but you would lose the new security features of IE7, which are built into the browser. I'd give it a shot, though...the interface has grown on me since Beta 1 was released, though I still prefer the customization options of Firefox.

Let us know what you think in the feedback thread.
John

Collapse -
RE:IE7
by chucker111 / October 22, 2006 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: It would be lost...

Well,I just installed IE7 and to answer my own previous question in this thread:My Search(google bar) Bar with my 50 or so individual choices I had made in that particular bar-The Whole Bar Stays Put upon installing IE7.That was my worst fear(not being able to click on several daily sites I had entered in my own search bar).The whole bar remained(second of three bars).Now I just have to get used to the new icons with their diff. uses.That should'nt be too hard.The pages DO scroll a bit slower,but for now,I'm going to try and get used to it.It's not really that bad.!!Should this action(download on my own,stop my system from updating and trying to install again without recognizing it's already installed)??Thanks,Chucker111.

Collapse -
Re:IE7
by chucker111 / October 22, 2006 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:IE7

Also noticed that when I try to use the BACK button to go back to previous thread on CNET,it won't allow it.Have to go to Forums beginning,to profile,to my posts,to get back where I was.Hope this can be worked out. Lot of extra work.Chucker111.

Collapse -
Bugs
by John.Wilkinson / October 22, 2006 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:IE7

It's an issue with IE7 compounded when you use the Cnet forums. I maintain that IE7 is still not ready for prime time and hope they fix that, and some other bugs, before they roll it out as an automatic update.

John

Collapse -
Correct...
by John.Wilkinson / October 22, 2006 10:34 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:IE7

Now that you've installed IE7 voluntarily it will not be downloaded/installed via Automatic Updates or Windows Updates. It will, however, check to make sure you are up-to-date and offer updates as they are released.

John

Collapse -
Re:Correct.
by chucker111 / October 22, 2006 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Correct...

Thank you so much for the info.,John.Once again,I say the Mods on this site are very accessible and helpful.!!Thanks,Chucker111.

Collapse -
BTW,Other Thread.
by chucker111 / October 22, 2006 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Correct.

I copied and pasted the preceding threads in the forum about likes and dislikes of IE7.Hope it helps someone.!!,Chucker111.

Collapse -
RSS FEED.!
by chucker111 / October 22, 2006 12:32 PM PDT
In reply to: BTW,Other Thread.

I've got another question,because of IE7 indirectly.I never utilized an RSS Feeder before the new IE7.But,now that I have it installed,I may as well go for it.Is there a particular site to go to ;to receive RSS Feeds?Thanks.Chucker.

Collapse -
Not really...
by John.Wilkinson / October 22, 2006 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: RSS FEED.!

You'll find sites here and there that list their favorite RSS feeds, but for the most part you just have to go to your favorite sites and see if they have RSS feeds available.

In IE7 you'll see a square icon with what looks like a radio signal in it under the Search toolbar. If/when that turns orange it means the site you are viewing has RSS feeds available, right clicking the arrow to the right of it will let you see which ones. Just click on the one you want and then click the "Subscribe to this feed" link in the yellow box of the page that appears.

Cnet, CNN, Fox News, and hundreds of other global sites have feeds available. Have fun aggregating. Happy

John

Collapse -
Re:Not Really...
by chucker111 / October 22, 2006 1:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Not really...

Thanks again,John.I'm trying to navigate my way through certain things and I really appreciate your help.!! I may ask more questions,hope you don't mind helping in the near future as I come upon other questions.Thanks,Chucker.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.