HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

IE7 bugs need help

by FBallrox003 / October 25, 2006 9:09 PM PDT

Is it just me because in the morning I downloaded IE 7 and Firefox 2, and when I went on AOL instant messenger in the afternoon it loaded fine but a message popped up and said "unknown handler" and it wanted me to specify a location on my hard drive. I'm not the smartest out there but I got the feeling that it was probably IE 7 because it's got bugs written all over it. This also happens at random times when I'm clicking on things like shortcuts to my 700000000001 email addresses. I wish I could be more specific on when they occurred but I was to busy sending out an email before its too late(I'm a top secret spy). This also happens when I click on change password on aim, of course because I change my password every 6:23 minutes so its safe. Please help me out, I have windows XP (sp2 obviously)gateway with Pentium d, its official title is a gateway 835GM (sp2 obviously)and a very annoying problem. Oh ya, sorry for the spelling/grammatical errors.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE7 bugs need help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE7 bugs need help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
With so much trouble. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 25, 2006 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: IE7 bugs need help

And IE7 so buggy, why did you install it? If it was me I'd put everything back like it was. Reason: IE7 is too new to have much help.

Collapse -
I'm waiting till 7.1
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2006 10:13 PM PDT

For now I'm staying with IE 6 but use FireFox until I see Microsoft really get the job done.

Bob

Collapse -
You wont belive what happened.
by FBallrox003 / October 26, 2006 3:35 AM PDT

I uninstalled IE7 and rebooted. Then When i typed something in the address bar of IE6 and hit enter, it said, "This file does not have a program associated with it performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel."

I though, oh well I'll just use Firefox until I figure out why this is happening. At least i fixed the AIM problem with the email. WRONG! It was still there showing off its cute little face. I had to hold my arm back from punching the screen, and i bet you would too. Mo, problems, no solutions, Please, if you or anyone you know might know how to fix all this, I will be so happy.

Collapse -
Try System Restore Back To A Time When Things...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 26, 2006 3:52 AM PDT

..were good. Click on Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore.. Whe SR loads, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time". At the next "Calendar" page, choose a bold date which is BEFORE the time when you install IE7, then follow the prompts to restore the computer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
nope...
by FBallrox003 / October 26, 2006 5:04 AM PDT

I couldn't believe how stupid i was not to think of this, I've done it about 6 times! As i was laughing at myself while my computer finished restoring, it popped up and said that it couldn't restore it to this date. I then said, oh well, ill try some different date, nope again. I have just about tried everything. do you think i should call the customer support who recommends things like " did you try restarting your computer, that usually works" or if I'm having a sound error they would be like " do you have your speakers turned on, and adjusted to an audible level?" I'm not dissing them but sometimes people are partly educated and have a bigger problem than they think. I don't want to do a destructive restore, but if necessary, ill load up this sucker's HardDrive on my Zen vision m and click the destructive restore button.

Collapse -
My Next Step...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 26, 2006 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: nope...

..would be to reinstall Windows XP SP2 from either the Microsoft SP2 CD or the full downloadable file at the link below. (You'll need a broadband connection because of the file's size, about 260 MB, then after downloading, burn it to a CD for later user if you ever need it.)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

After downloading the file to your computer, double click and run it.. It should repair Internet Explorer 6 SP2 and any other Windows system files that are included in that version.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I would try IEFIX first
by TONI H / October 26, 2006 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: My Next Step...

It works well on IE6 and actually repairs missing or corrupt files and informational status of those files.

http://www.pcwarfare.com/ie/iefix.tool.htm

This page has information regarding two separate IEFix tools....one I know for sure, the other I know nothing about and say so there. I also state which one to get so read the page carefully to know which one to get.

TONI

Collapse -
Worth A Try But...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 26, 2006 8:59 AM PDT

I've recently had to repair 3 or 4 Internet Explorer 6 SP2 installations on XP and in each case, IEFix didn't get the job done. It used to work fine on the older IE versions. A full reinstall using the downloaded SP2 installer worked a treat.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Just finished trying them both, here are the results
by FBallrox003 / October 26, 2006 10:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Worth A Try But...

Sadly, no good news, after the 1hr 40min installation of SP2, opened IE with a grin, but it's still that same stubborn way.. Without giving up hope i tried IE fix, which after the box popping up saying that it finished, i loaded up IE, the same message and a aim link, same message. Is it about time for a sys. destructive restore, can you still help me restore it to an earlier time that will actually work, or should i try one more thing? I feel like the farther i get into this, the more errors i uncover. thanks for the help all this way, and I would like to try other things,

G

Collapse -
One thing...
by Papa Echo / October 26, 2006 9:14 AM PDT

...where did you download IE7 ? I suppose, since you are a spy, you won't reveal this information ?

Collapse -
I downloaded it from the Microsoft website...
by FBallrox003 / October 26, 2006 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: One thing...

Did you think that i might have got a virus from it?

Collapse -
Virus from MS ?
by Papa Echo / October 26, 2006 1:04 PM PDT

No. But that does not mean you are not infected. That said, are you sure you have downloaded the released version and not the former beta ?
Try reinstaling, this time, with a clean state -If the quick launch bar shows, choose not to show it. Shut down running programs, unscheduled scheduled tasks, clean up temp and temp internet folders, scan for and clean up viruses, parasites, etc. Shut down anti virus and anti ad ware which runs in thebckground. Then run chkdsk /r, and then defrag. Do all these in Safe Mode. Reboot, before reinstalling. Note: you will need to have a geniune Windows XP with SP2.

Collapse -
by the way
by FBallrox003 / October 26, 2006 9:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Virus from MS ?

I didn't mean virus from MS, i meant a virus from a site that i might have downloaded it from thats not MS, before you knew what website i downloaded it from.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT)
by Papa Echo / October 27, 2006 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: by the way
Collapse -
OK
by Papa Echo / October 27, 2006 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: by the way

Please ignore above "NT" post. That should not have got posted. (No title and no body).

Your post was entitled "...downloaded it from Microsoft..." and the body message referred to "it". The language as used did indicated the MS site...Well, sorry for the misunderstanding. Anyway, how was the reinstall in a "clean state" ?

Collapse -
re: OK
by FBallrox003 / October 31, 2006 10:06 AM PST
In reply to: OK

I tried it and got busy and couldn't work on the problem for a little bit. So anyways it didn't work for the links, but the problem with entering info. into address did get fixed. I don't know what else to do? I might have said this but i google'd about my problem and I still am the only one. Oh, well if you ran out of solution, ill just try restoring it. thanks

G

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.