Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

IE7 bugs, need help

by FBallrox003 / October 25, 2006 9:06 PM PDT

Is it just me because in the morning I downloaded IE 7 and Firefox 2, and when I went on AOL instant messenger in the afternoon it loaded fine but a message popped up and said "unknown handler" and it wanted me to specify a location on my hard drive. I'm not the smartest out there but I got the feeling that it was probably IE 7 because it's got bugs written all over it. This also happens at random times when i'm clicking on things like shortcuts to my 700000000001 email addresses. I wish I could be more specific on when they occurred but I was to busy sending out an email before its too late(i'm a top secret spy). This also happens when I click on change password on aim, of course because I change my password every 6:23 minutes so its safe. Please help me out, I have windows XP (sp2 obviously)gateway with Pentium d, its official title is a gateway 835GM (sp2 obviously)and a very annoying problem. Oh ya, sorry for the spelling/grammatical errors.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE7 bugs, need help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE7 bugs, need help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Top secret spy
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 25, 2006 9:23 PM PDT
In reply to: IE7 bugs, need help

There are contents in your post that, perhaps, need clearing up.

1] What was the full message of the "unknown handler" error?

2] What file was it asking for the location to?

3] Do you really have 700 trillion and 1 shortcuts to email addresses? If so, where are these shortcuts? If they are on your desktop, that may be contributing to your problem.

4] What do you mean by "shortcuts to email addresses"? How does that work?

5] Before what was too late?

6] Did this "unknown handler" error occur when you changed your password on AIM, every 6 minutes 23 seconds, (does this include when you are asleep?), before you installed IE7 and/or Firefox 2?

7] What happens if you uninstall IE7 and return to IE6?

Cool Does the AIM web site have any information on this, eg Help & Support, or user forums?

In my experience, Top Secret Spies generally prefer not to broadcast that they are, er.... Top Secret Spies. Possibly I have this wrong?

Mark

Collapse -
Let me clear it up for u
by FBallrox003 / October 26, 2006 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Top secret spy

1) The title is "unknown handler" and it says "unable to find an application to handle the protocol "http" of the hyperlink you selected" It wants you to type in the path of the application to handle it, etc. etc.

2) It isnt asking for the location to a peticular file, and sence it pops up when the aim services are starting, i dont know what it wants. It also happens when i click on other things like pasword changing which i dont do every 6 mins, i do it like every time i feel like it needs changed, sometimes years infact. Anyways it does it for most of the things where it has to load up a webpage, like the email shortcut in the "my aim" drop down menu.

3) 700 trillion and one or 7, does it really make a difference. if it does dont respond to that. Anyways the shortcuts are for the free aim ones ( i explained why i call them shortcuts in q. 2) and not my outlook shortcut.

4) expained in q.2 and 3.

5) I cant tell you that, except i had to get an email to someone before they left and the shortcuts getting screwed up didnt help... grr.

6)I confess, i dont change them every 6 mins and not when im asleep and i have never had this pop up for any reason before i downloaded IE and FF last morning. (now i wished i only got ff, and im going to downgrade to ie 6 right after i finish writing this)

7) ill find out after this and will tell you when im done.

Cool I did do a google search of this problem and it seems like im the only one. <dont you HATE that!( i think my spying has to do with it, lol

Whats wrong with saying im a top secret spy.. you still have no idea who i am or where i live... and dont try to.. btw my aim sn isnt GJP303.

I hope this clears it up for you and you can help me... and i will uninstall ie seven and downgrade, even though the back and forward buttons look so cool. Let you know how this goes..

Secret spy without an screen name of GJP303

Collapse -
Re: let me clear it up for u, You won't belive what happend
by FBallrox003 / October 26, 2006 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Top secret spy

I uninstalled IE7 and rebooted. Then When i typed something in the address bar of IE6 and hit enter, it said, "This file does not have a program associated with it performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel."

I though, oh well I'll just use Firefox until I figure out why this is happening. At least i fixed the AIM problem with the email. WRONG! It was still there showing off its cute little face. I had to hold my arm back from punching the screen, and i bet you would too. Mo, problems, no solutions, Please, if you or anyone you know might know how to fix all this, I will be so happy.

Collapse -
Tried This?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 26, 2006 4:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thread locked......
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 26, 2006 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried This?

so the discussion can continue without confusion in the Computer Help forum.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.