Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

IE7 and McAfee Virusscan

by jpatrickm / October 20, 2006 5:19 AM PDT

Today I was prompted via the auto-update program, to update my McAfee virus software. I ran the update and it failed. Not only did it fail, but it removed the previously installed version of the virus protection software leaving me without protection. I re-booted and tried the install again. No luck. I contacted McAfee support and after several minutes of questions, they asked which browser I was using. I told IE 7, which I upgraded to yesterday. McAfee told me that IE 7 was not yet supported. So now I'm left without the virus protection that I paid for. Their only advice was to uninstall IE... right.

I wish their auto-update program would have checked for compatibility first. It's not like the release of IE 7 should have surprised anyone. I just don't understand how they failed to get in front of something like this, if in fact it is an issue. IE is so widely used and obviously any virus protection software must communicate with the browser.

Anyone else run into this problem?

Joe
www.pezland.net

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE7 and McAfee Virusscan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE7 and McAfee Virusscan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IE7 and McAfee VirusScan
by Carol~ Moderator / October 20, 2006 6:14 AM PDT

Joe..

I haven't run into your problem but....... I've been getting the update prompts for quite some time now. I have ignored them, as McAfee did have some problems with the upgrade. Whether or not it has been totally resolved, I don't know. I also have not installed IE7 yet. Personally, I don't trust McAfee support. I don't know how and where you got in touch with them, but I would have had to call India for customer support - not technical. And that would be directly, which I chose not to do. The call would have cost me more than I already pay for their software.

I find it difficult to believe IE7 and McAfee are not compatible. Although, I wouldn't be surprised to hear otherwise. They may have made some blunders in the past, but this one I very much doubt they would make. I've looked at McAfee's forum and have yet to see one post regarding this issue. Even though IE7 was released only a couple of days ago, I think if it were a problem, the forum would be flooded with threads about it. My guess is that it has all to do with the upgrade and nothing to do with IE7. Just my opinion.

If it were me, I'd be concentrating on getting your VirusScan back. You never mentioned which version you originally had, or which one you've tried to upgrade to. If you feel it is due to IE7, no doubt you will see some posts at their forum. (There are some though, about upgrade failures, which may help.) Additionally, Grif.. our resident ''McAfee Maniac'' (:)).. might see this and give his input.

The link to McAfee's Forum:
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php

Best of luck with it..
Carol

Collapse -
Joe, It's Not An Unknown Problem ...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 20, 2006 2:46 PM PDT

...especially with the newest retail McAfee versions.. I don't think it has anything to do with the newest Internet Explorer 7 version though. VirusScan 11 is compatible with IE7... It's a McAfee update issue.. See the links below and the fixes mentioned:

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=91065&start=0

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=92966

Then again, there is an issue which arises for IE7 and Virus Scan 10 and earlier, but it doesn't sound like your problem. Read the information below:

McAfee customers running pre-Falcon versions of product, who install Internet Explorer 7, may be hit with multiple IE 'info bar' prompts if they attempt to initiate a manual 'Update' of McAfee product.

While the McAfee Virtual Technician team is working now on a fix for this, you may be contacted by customers, curious to know more about the errors they are seeing. Very soon, a new KB article will be posted on www.mcafeehelp.com, which will also provide customers with an explanation.

ISSUE DETAILS

A user meeting the above criteria (IE 7 + pre-Falcon McAfee product) will see the following issues upon executing a manual upgrade:

An ActiveX prompt is generated from the McAfee update window
After accepting the prompt and clicking to get the update, IE will launch the McAfee log-in page
At this point, a yellow IE info bar appears up to six times. The first instance is a Microsoft generated ActiveX prompt. The following ones are McAfee prompts, which appear to be duplicates.
Now, the download window appears
This generates yet another IE ActiveX info bar
From here, the download appears to function normally, but the installation freezes on 'Initializing...Please Wait'.
If you accept the Active X info bar prompt twice, the installation restarts and is able to complete
Side Note: the info bar in the download window pushes the cancel button below the fold of the pop-up window. This makes it inaccessible, unless you click 'accept' or close the info bar.

Once you have successfully completed one manual installation by accepting all of the prompts, future manual updates work seamlessly.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
One persons experience w/ IE7 and VirusScan 10
by Carol~ Moderator / October 20, 2006 3:18 PM PDT

I happened to have been at McAfee's forum, just prior to Grif's posting. Without knowing any details of your specific situation, I did happen to find someone who found a solution to their problem with both IE7 and VS10.

It may do nothing more, than assure you of what Grif has already said, and I only suspected. It's probably got nothing to do with IE7 and all to do with the update.

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=94386

Carol

Collapse -
Joe, McAfee Just Released Some New Writeups...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 24, 2006 3:10 PM PDT
Collapse -
McAfee Internet Security 2007 Problem
by taino1361 / October 25, 2006 11:57 AM PDT

I recently purchased McAfee Internet Security 2007 and everything except Virusscan is downloaded leaving me w/o antivirus. I chatted w/ McAfee rep who seemed really amateur and was not helpful at all. I also have IE 7. I tried getting refund from Staples who it turns out doesn't refund on software.What a waste!

Collapse -
And Did You Try??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 25, 2006 2:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
IE7 & McAfee
by joeblowfromcocamo / October 29, 2006 5:58 PM PST

I too run McAfee but, surprisingly, I haven't had any problems. Thet is with the exception of their Anti Spam program, which I have uninstalled because it caused more problems than it solved.

Collapse -
McAfee A/V & IE7
by Ex_Brit / October 29, 2006 8:44 PM PST
In reply to: IE7 & McAfee

No problems here, both in XP w/IE7 and Vista RC2 which, of course, uses IE7 anyway.
People are reporting that it works OK on McAfeeHelp Forums.

Collapse -
Hello Peter...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 30, 2006 2:13 AM PST
In reply to: McAfee A/V & IE7

Glad to see you're visiting.

Grif

Collapse -
IE7 and McAfee Virusscan
by artis77 / October 30, 2006 3:32 AM PST

Hi Joe, Yes, I experienced the same problem. Only I did not lose the version that was installed. I agree with you, McAfee should be aware of changes to browser and operating systems. I really think that they are aware, but it's a competition thing, and these companies are not working together.

Herb

Collapse -
McAfee
by awsteve / October 30, 2006 12:12 PM PST

Same thing happen to me with their Internet 6. After 3 downloads, and two disks that they sent, the program would not install. Then it was after the ten days (which not mentioned anywhere) they refused their rebates.

Collapse -
IE 7 & McAfee
by funbaby415 / October 31, 2006 12:31 AM PST

Hm,,, mine has`nt given me any problems and I have IE 7. I`m running a dell with a single 2.53 Ghz P 4 processor,30 gig hd,1 gig of ram and a 128 mb gf 5200 agp video card.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Dump McAfee, go Norton: works smoothly with IE7
by Ryo Hazuki / October 31, 2006 2:21 AM PST
Collapse -
IE-7 & McAfee
by 2jakes / November 2, 2006 7:28 AM PST

I recently installed both items (IE-7) & update of McAfee & am experiencing no problems. Quite the opposite both work better. Are you sure they don't support IE-7? I am using this browser w/ McAfee & it works fine. jake

Collapse -
Using the right software might solve your problem
by C++ Genius / November 9, 2006 7:28 AM PST

You should be using Firefox in the place of IE and AVG in the place of McAfee. Both are more secure, effective and stable, and both provide better support.

http://www.cybertopcops.com

Collapse -
McAfee
by TDWolsey / November 10, 2006 8:20 AM PST

Thanks, I often use FireFox and have wondered about AVG. Thank you for the advice--McAfee just doesn't cut it.

Collapse -
McAfee conflicts
by TDWolsey / November 10, 2006 12:35 AM PST

I had a similar problem when I used the auto-update. McAfee VirusScan and the new security center from a recent update cause undesirable problems on my computer that previous versions did not cause. Essentially, this update searches for the data files of other anti-virus products then McAfee shuts down when it finds these files until I find and remove the competing product. In one case, McAfee located an old data file associated with Symantec--a product that came bundled with the computer but was never activated, so I spent several hours tracking down that problem. Each time, I had to uninstall then reinstall McAfee's products--more time consumed on my part. Once I found that problem, McAfee searched for and found another out-dated virus program that came bundled with my firewall. I don't use the virus program with the firewall, but this didn't prevent McAfee from once again shutting itself down. I could not locate the virus definition file, so I gave up. I emailed McAfee customer support for a refund, but all "support" can do is mechnanically quote their 30-day refund policy (and ignoring the fact that the problem is a result of McAfee's recent devising). The competing software was on the computer at the time I renewed my subscription to McAfee; there were no problems. This update is a nuisance.

DeVere

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?