Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

IE6 favs backup

by the red baron / August 12, 2005 11:53 PM PDT

can any one tell me how to backup onto a floppy all the urls in my favs drop down in internet explorer.

I had a virus a short while ago and managed to get rid of it, but it took all of my favs listings with it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE6 favs backup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE6 favs backup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go to
by Adi / August 13, 2005 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: IE6 favs backup

C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Favorites and copy everything from that folder. Those are all your favourites. If you ever need to restore, just copy them back to that folder.

Hope this helps,
Adi

Collapse -
Use the export
by glb613 / August 13, 2005 12:17 AM PDT

feature with IE. Open IE, go to file then import/export and follow the wizard.

Collapse -
IE6 favs backup
by toasty / August 13, 2005 12:24 AM PDT

Insert floppy into drive then locate your favourites folder in
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName
right click on the Favorites folder, choose 'send to' then 'floppy(A)'
if you have a lot of links you may want to compress them first with winzip, winrar of 7-zip to save a little space.

Collapse -
Re: IE6 Favs
by trublubush / August 13, 2005 12:36 AM PDT

Actually, this very easy to do! What I'm telling you here though, applies ONLY to WinXP.

First, insert a freshly formatted disk into your floppy drive.

Open 'My Computer' and navigate to C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\. Open that folder to view a list of user settings folders. Look for the one with your present logon name. Open this folder to reveal your own settings folders. One of these will have a ''star'' icon. It's name will be ''Favorites.'' Make sure that the floppy drive icon (A: )is still showing. Now, click, hold, and drag the star icon to the floppy icon and release the mouse button. Because this xfer is going across different drives, the ''favorites'' folder and it's contents will be copied to the floppy disk leaving the original folder intact on drive C. Happy

Collapse -
Fav backup
by rub / August 19, 2005 3:33 AM PDT

Adi told you how. Just make sure you do it regularly though. Lost a bunch of additions because I didn't. I keep a copy on my slave HD too which is much faster. Haven't had any virus wipeouts on the slave yet. Also keep a backup on my external USB2 HD ( I actually have 5 of them ) Geeks sells a case for $20 which converts internal to external USB2. Fantastic. Just shut them off when you're surfing, just in case. Turn them on when you know the system is safe.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?