Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

IE6

by tibor / February 23, 2005 11:50 AM PST

I have just updated my browser to IE6 and when looking
up some websites, even though the "done" message appears in the bottom left hand corner (indicating the site has been found and presumably downloaded) the page remains blank. Can anyone suggest why this may be so. ??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE6
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE6
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: IE6
by JJ / February 23, 2005 1:35 PM PST
In reply to: IE6

Get Firefox1.0 and leave the IE6 Spyware collaborator behind.

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / February 23, 2005 8:26 PM PST
In reply to: IE6

Please note that just above the text editor (where you enter a question on the forum) is the following paragraph, and if certain information is not present in your question, our reply may not be of much help:

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

Note: You have the option of using the hyperlink "Edit My Profile" on the right side of the main page to fill in applicable system information so that it is available.

1. This article [Q316894] is part 1 of a series of four articles that explain how to troubleshoot Internet browsing issues in Microsoft Windows, covers the following topics, and provides a hyperlink for the remaining series:

a. I get a message saying "The page cannot be displayed."

b. Web pages don't "show pictures" or play sound.

c. My browser doesn't start at the page I want.

Note: First, just be sure you have no utilities which has been installed to lock the home page

? "HijackThis" is a general homepage hijacker, detector, and remover which you may be using, (Config, Main, Below URLs will be . . ).

? "Spybot Search&Destroy v1.3" has a lock (Tools, IE tweeks, middle box check).

d. Web sites don't remember me.

e. I get a message saying You are not authorized to view this page.

f. I need to view a Web page when I can't go on line.

g. Internet Explorer crashes - Download and use "IEFix" - a general purpose fix for Internet Explorer (Win 98/ME/2000/XP):

(1) Registers Urlmon.dll, Mshtml.dll, Actxprxy.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Shell32.dll, Shdocvw.dll, [Q281679].

(2) Refreshes Internet Explorer using IE.INF method. Note:

? "Unable to Install Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP (Q304872)"

? "How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)"

(3) Initiates "SFC /Scannow" (Win2K&XP), [Q310747].

2. You may not be able to log on to a Web site or complete an Internet transaction after you install the 832894 (MS04-004) security update. For example, when you submit your user name and password to an SSL-secured Web site by using a form on a HTTPS Web page, you may receive an HTTP 500 (Internal Server Error) Web page. This problem may occur after you apply the 832894 security update (MS04-004) or the 821814 hotfix on a computer that runs WinXP, W2K, ME, or Win9x, [Q831167."

3. The article [Q325192] discusses and describes know issues that may occur after installing certain Updates to Internet Explorer or Windows. Please review the content of this article to see whether the described issue you've reported could be linked to anything there.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!