Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

iE6.0 <--- msn.search.com :( help me pls

by JSlime / July 1, 2004 1:26 PM PDT

Hello, I've recently noticed a problem with my browser over the past few days. I'm using windows XP Pro (SP1) and browsing with iE6.0... Now then.. whenever I type an unknown URL, such as:
http://www.fasdfasdfasdfasfdasdfasf.com

I get redirected to an extremely annoying MSN search page:
http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?srch=104&FORM=AS4&q=http://www.fksfasdfasdfsadfsdafasdf.com/

Seems like this happens whenever l type an unknown URL, or mistype one. Simple enough, problem is... I don't want my computer to do this, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove this msn search "service" <groan>. Please help me figure out how to set my computer back to my old school "page cannot be found" error message, I really and stand this stupid "msn.search.com" garbage. __PLEASE__ post me some instructions on how this can be remedy, or some directions to a place that can help me.

Thank you for your time fellow interweb enthusiasts!
JSlime

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iE6.0 <--- msn.search.com :( help me pls
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iE6.0 <--- msn.search.com :( help me pls
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: iE6.0 <--- msn.search.com :( help me pls
by Cursorcowboy / July 1, 2004 11:49 PM PDT

1. By default, Internet Explorer for WinXP uses the Search Companion feature but can be set to use the IE5.0 Classic Internet Search, [Q303210]:

a. In IE, click Search, Change Preferences, Change Internet search behavior, click With Classic Internet Search, and then OK.

b. In IE, click the Search button on the toolbar and on the Search bar, click Customize, Use Search Companion in the Customize Search Settings dialog box and then click OK to enable the Search Companion feature.

c. Restart Internet Explorer for any change to take effect.

2. In Internet Explorer, you may see only a limited number of Web search engine selections which can occur if a language other than U.S. English (en-us) is listed first in the Languages settings Properties. This causes the search assistant to return search engines that are compatible with the browser's default language setting, [Q224323].

3. When you click Search in Internet Explorer, a different Web site may be displayed in the browser window instead of the expected Search page, and can occur if the registry entries for the default Search page have been modified. To resolve this issue, remove the registry entries, [Q323869].

4. If you install the preview edition of Morpheus version 1.3.3.1, you may receive the following error message which is most likely to occur when you click a link in an e-mail message or when you paste a URL in to the Address bar, [Q321923]:

Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience

Collapse -
by JSlime / July 2, 2004 1:20 PM PDT

I've tried all of the things that you've suggested, however I'm still having this problem do you have any other suggestions I could try?

~JSlime

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / July 2, 2004 10:34 PM PDT

Please state factually that the actions described in Method #1, step #3, was performed along with all the items in Method #2, as explained in my referenced item #3?

If you had, now use that reference to progress to the registry address below and Export the information to a text file. Copy and paste into a reply.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

Thank you.

Collapse -
by Werecow / December 16, 2004 1:07 PM PST

JSlime: I just ran across your post while searching for a solution to the same problem. I'm currently running WinXP Home, SP2, and after another recent "security update", my auto search page was set to search.msn.com, which also annoyed me to no end.

The easiest way to fix this:

In IE6, click Tools, Internet Options, Advanced. Scroll down to the "Search from the address bar" heading and click "Do not search from the address bar", then "OK". Voila! All fixed!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!