Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

IE vanished

by btpena / January 16, 2006 11:52 PM PST

For some reason the instance of IE 6 my on my PC (compaq, XP Home SP2) vanished. I cannot find the exe file or the icon anywhere on the disk. When I try to re-install IE after downloading it from MSFT I get a message telling me that I already have a new version installed.

I added netscape and firefox to the system but my google toolbar only works with IE.

What could be the cause? I already have a new version of SAV 11 as well as several antispyware programs otherwise I'd be concerned it may be a trojan or some spyware.

HELP!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE vanished
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE vanished
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: IE vanished
by Tufenuf / January 17, 2006 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: IE vanished

btpena, Look in the C:\Progtam Files\Internet Explorer folder where you should find IEXPLORE.EXE

Tufenuf

Collapse -
not there
by btpena / January 17, 2006 12:48 AM PST
In reply to: Re: IE vanished

I already did that and it wasn't there. Thanks for the reply.

B

Collapse -
Re: not there
by Tufenuf / January 17, 2006 3:27 AM PST
In reply to: not there
Collapse -
Still not there!
by btpena / January 17, 2006 9:38 AM PST
In reply to: Re: not there

hereis what I found when I did a program search.

IEXPLORE.EXE-2D97EBE6.pf

It was in the c:\\windows\prefetch

When I open it my SAV stops it as a hostile program.

When I go to the MSFT website it doesn't allow me to download since I have firefox.

Thanks for your advice.

Collapse -
Take it a step further...
by John.Wilkinson / January 17, 2006 11:57 AM PST
In reply to: Still not there!

The match you found was a prefetch file...prefetching is the method of partially loading the data of a website, file, or proggram in the background so that it loads faster if/when the user decides to load it. It's not necessary, but I'd go ahead and delete it. (It can't hurt.)

As to downloading Internet Explorer, try clicking here to go to the download page. It will let you download the executable for IE 6.0 SP1, so it doesn't care what browser you are using. Once you have it downloaded, refer to the link Tufenuf gave you for repairing/reinstalling IE.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Still not there! #2
by btpena / January 17, 2006 1:18 PM PST

I did that and when I run the setup file I get the following message:

"setup has detected a newer version of internet explorer already installed on this system

Setup cannot continue"

The frustrating thing is that I run the add/remove program and IE is not there. When I look for IEXPLORE.exe it is not in there.

I really appreciate your help on this one.

Collapse -
Re: Still not there! #2
by Tufenuf / January 17, 2006 8:06 PM PST
In reply to: Still not there! #2

btpena, It's hard to believe that IEXPLORE.EXE vanished by itself. Have you tried doing a System Restore to the closest date prior to this problem? Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore. Another thing you could try is to go into the Control Panel and open Folder Options. Under the View tab checkmark ''Show hidden Files and Folders'' and uncheck ''Hide protected system files (Recommended)'', click Apply/OK. Now go into Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) and go to C:\Windows\System32|dllcache folder, open it and locate iexplorer.exe. Right click iexplore.exe choose Copy then open the C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer folder and in an empty area in the right pane right click and choose Paste.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Try running sfc /scannow......
by DeimosDracul / January 22, 2006 4:07 PM PST

Attempt to use the System File Checker tool to help to repair the system.If this fails, an in-place upgrade or a reinstall may be needed. go to start>run> sfc /scan now. you will need the OS CD if files need to be replaced unless you have a Media Center PC the the OS CD is not needed

Collapse -
VANISHING IE
by grandpajim / January 19, 2006 10:30 PM PST

The same thing happened to me on two different machines (not at the same time). I had to re-install IE from a CD (which I got from a friend in the business). If you cannot get a ''branded'' copy of the IE CD, then try having someone burn a good copy from their system & attemp to install from the burned CD. Or, you may be able to "restore" from your restoration software.

I tried installing the download, too, but kept getting the same message as you. I hope this works for you.

Collapse -
Me too, but fixed
by Tymlaird / January 19, 2006 10:59 PM PST

This happened to me last summer after I upgraded to XP from win98. I was getting microsoft updates and one of them asked me if I would like to clear up some space on my hard drive by removing unused components. It popped up the add/remove programs section from the control pannel. I did not want to remove any programs after looking at what was available, and closed the window. Immediately IE6 and Outlook express vanished. I attempted to reinstall them, but they were already installed, just no icons or listing in the programs menu. I could get to them from the Search function, but could not get the icons. After about 3 weeks of searching I finally got someone to suggest going into the add/remove programs and check on the Windows Components section. Sure enough, these programs and several other handy windows tools were unchecked. I had to put the XP disc back in and check the windows component functions I wanted again, and they all came back.
So it seems that Microsoft has a problem with one of it's updates where it will remove access to some of the most used components of your system, but they can be easily reinstalled if you know what you are looking for. So check under the Windows components in add/remove programs, they may just be unchecked there.

Collapse -
IT WORKED
by btpena / January 20, 2006 11:03 AM PST
In reply to: Me too, but fixed

THE WINDOWS COMPONENT FIELD WAS THE TRICK.

Thanks so much to everyone for their help!!!!!!!

B

Collapse -
RE: IE vanished
by alswilling / January 20, 2006 5:55 AM PST

btpena,

Do you have, or have you created a set of recovery CDs? If not, then you should make a set, assuming that you have a CD writer and your Compaq has the Recovery CD-DVD Creator software. Follow the steps below as given on HP's Web site. You should then be able to use the recovery disks to locate and reinstall or repair the version of IE6 that was originally installed on your machine.

Recovery disk creation is accomplished as follows:

(From: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=1118242&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bph08097 )

Creating Recovery discs from Windows:

Complete the following steps to create the recovery disc set:
NOTE: Some versions of Recovery CD-DVD Creator will not work with certain discs (for example, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, or Dual Layer DVD discs).

1. Disconnect from the Internet and close all other software that may be open. This is not necessary but may help avoid problems that can occur.

2. Click Start, and then All Programs.

3. Choose the option below that applies to your PC:
* For HP Pavilion and Media Center PCs, click Hewlett-Packard and then HP PC Recovery CD Creator to start the program.
or
* Click PC Help & Tools and then HP CD Recovery CD-DVD Creator to start the program.

* For Compaq PCs, click Compaq and then Compaq PC Recovery CD Creator to start the program.
or
Click Compaq, click Compaq PC Tools, and then Recovery CD Creator
When first opening the recovery CD-DVD creator program, a Welcome screen and Readme screen describe the operation of the software.

4. Click the Continue button on each screen to start the disc creation process.

5. A window appears listing the number of blank discs required to make a complete recovery set. Click Yes to continue.

6. Label the blank discs appropriately, for example, Recovery disc 1 of 11.

7.Click Yes to continue. The PC Recovery CD Creator screen appears. While this screen is viewable, several processes will take place:
* List Files - Program builds a list of the files needed.
* Collect file contents - Program collects needed files from the hidden recovery partition.
*Write files onto CD or DVD - Program is now ready to burn the first disc.
*Verify CD or DVD contents - Program verifies the content of the discs.

8. When the Write Files onto CDs process begins, insert disc 1 of 8 (CD or DVD) into the CD-RW/DVD disc drive.

9. Once the write process is completed, the disc is verified and ejected. The write and verification processes take approximately 10 to 12 minutes for each CD-R disc and approximately 45 minutes for each DVD+R disc. When Disc 1 is verified, the door of the CD drive automatically opens. The software will then collect the file contents of the next disc before accepting another disc.
CAUTION: Do not insert the next blank disc until receiving an onscreen prompt. Inserting a disc and closing the drive tray, before the prompt, can result in a corrupted and unusable disc.

10. When the prompt screen appears, insert requested disc number. Continue the process until all discs are written to and verified. The Congratulations screen appears when a complete and valid set of recovery CDs is successfully created.

11. If a break is needed, because of the time involved in completing all discs at one time, click Abort (see CAUTION below before aborting). The Recovery CD-DVD Creator software will remember where it left off and will continue at the same spot the next time it is started.

CAUTION: Aborting during the write process might result in a corrupted and unusable disc. Before aborting, wait until the disc has completed its write and verification process and prompts for the next disc.

12 If the Recovery CD Creator program is started again after you have created a complete set of recovery CDs, another screen appears stating only one recovery set is allowed. The only choice is to click OK to exit the program. If you were unable to create one set of recovery discs and this message occurs, you will have to use another method to obtain new recovery discs .

Creating a Recovery CD Set from a command prompt
Use the following steps to create a Recovery CD set without having Windows open:
NOTE: You cannot create recovery DVDs using this method.

Turn on the PC and repeatedly press the F10 key when the first screen appears.

When the recovery screen opens, click Advanced Options.

Press the Alt and the D key at the same time to go to a command prompt.
If the PC did not come with a memory card reader, type the following: d:
If the PC came with a memory card reader, type the following: h:
Press Enter and type the following: cd windows
Press Enter and type the following: cd creator
Press Enter and type the following command exactly as it is shown here (including quotation marks and space): "CD Creator.exe"
Click Start Creation and follow the directions to create the Recovery CD set.

Good luck.

Al

Collapse -
RE: IE vanished -- another option
by alswilling / January 20, 2006 6:31 AM PST
In reply to: RE: IE vanished

Another alternative that might solve your problem and is a much simpler solution is through Add/Remove Programs.

Click Start and, depending on your view settings, go to Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs; or open the Control Panel if it is listed under your Start menu.

In the left-hand column of the Add or Remove Programs box, click Add/Remove Windows Components. Windows Set-up will start, then a box will open with a list of Windows components that may be removed or added. Ticked or unticked Check boxes will be beside each component. If the Internet Explorer option is checked, uncheck it and click the Next button. Follow all prompts to indicate that you wish to remove the component.

When you have finished, open Add and Remove Programs again. Again, click the Add/Remove Windows Components option. This time check the box beside Internet Explorer and click the Next button. Follow all prompts to indicate that you wish to install this option.

After finishing and exiting Add and Remove Programs, restart your computer, even if it does not prompt you to do so. Sometimes the effects of an action may not show up or work properly until Windows has been restarted, so it is a good practice to restart Windows any time alterations have been made to the system and any time new software has been installed--before the new feature or software is run for the first time.

If successful, the IE icon should be on your desktop and/or in your task bar. If your task bar is locked and you don't see the IE icon there, click the >> and it should show the IE icon in the list. Alternately, you can right click the task bar, click the "Lock the Taskbar" option to unlock it, position your mouse cursor over the vertical double-row of dots, and slide the taskbar open. You should then see the IE icon, Show Desktop icon, and anything else that has put its icon in the taskbar.

I won't guarantee that this will work, but it is another option that you may not have tried yet.

Collapse -
google toolbar for firefox
by michael902 / January 22, 2006 12:19 PM PST

just use firefox and download the google toolbar for firefox...firefox is better than IE any day and if you need Internet explorer to work for some web pages download IE tab extension for firefox which uses the IE engine within firefox in a new tab...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!