HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

IE v6 question

by Longhornmid04 / December 9, 2004 7:15 AM PST

Hopefully I can get some help on this...

Problem 1
I just signed up for a gmail account, but when I put in my username and password it just reloads the log in page.

I've checked:
- login info correct - If I put in the wrong password it tell me it is incorrect. It only reloads the login page when I put in the right password.
- pop up blocker - I disabled it and nothing changed.
- security settings - I tried setting them lower, but I didn't really know what I was doing there so that may still be the problem.

Problem 2
Also, since I have been trying to fix this, I can no longer right click and "save target as." This is on all websites, including those that I used to be able to download from.

Any help is appreciate.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE v6 question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE v6 question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: IE v6 question
by Papa Echo / December 9, 2004 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: IE v6 question

Have you tried another browser, e.g. Opera or Firefox ?

Collapse -
by Longhornmid04 / December 9, 2004 7:50 AM PST
In reply to: Re: IE v6 question

I don't have opera or firefox, and I would prefer fixing IE to switching to a new browser.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / December 9, 2004 3:46 PM PST

If you do not try other browsers, you won't know whetehr the problem is with IE, or your OS, your computer, your ISP, or gmail. It is just a problem solving technique.
If you do not have problems with a non-IE browser, then the problem is most probably IE, then you go fix it. If you have problems even with other browsers, then you have to look elsewhere.

Collapse -
by Yew / December 9, 2004 7:36 AM PST

Well, I see one constant in all of that: You're using IE. Stop! That thing is a raging security hazard. Download Mozilla Firefox and make it the default browser, and forget IE exists.

Collapse -
by Longhornmid04 / December 9, 2004 7:52 AM PST

OK, I promise I'll give firefox a try if I can get some help on the IE problem first. Happy

Collapse -
by Junk_Mail / December 9, 2004 5:17 PM PST

It is gMail that does not work.

Collapse -
by Yew / December 9, 2004 10:26 PM PST

Well, I have a pretty good idea what the problem is, and it's a problem with IE. But you shouldn't use IE because it leaves your system wide open to a much wider number of possible attacks. Like the phishing emails you may have heard about recently... They work by exploiting a bug in IE which lets them hide the fact that you're being redirected to some other site. Microsoft's method of fixing things is to plug holes as they come up, instead of fixing the mechanism by which these exploits work.

Firefox will import almost all of your IE settings, including Favorites, autocomplete data, cookies for site logins, etc. Once you get a taste for Firefox, you'll wonder how you ever managed without some of its features.

Collapse -
Firefox does not work for MOST SITES !!!!
by Mad Trapper / August 26, 2005 2:06 AM PDT

The trouble with Firefox is that MOST sites do not work with it !!!!!

Collapse -
by Cetin Denislam / December 9, 2004 8:31 PM PST
Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / December 9, 2004 10:48 PM PST
Note: I don't use GMail -- just reading from the site.

I just signed up for a gmail account, but when I put in my username and password it just reloads the log in page.

a. Is your statement fact - how was this account created?

b. Were you already a member and this anomaly has just now occurred?

c. I assume you check compatibility with the Web site?

You need to have Javascript and cookies enabled, regardless of the browser you use

1. The article [Q293513] states that IE6 does not include MVM for Java which can be installed on demand. Please also read "Relnotes.htm File".

2. "Differences Between Windows XP SP1 and Windows XP SP1a (Q813926)."

3. Different versions of the MVM for Java are offered at the (perhaps slow) "Sun Microsystems Java" site as well as a convenient Installation Check (option on the left). Be advised however this check may not be ready for primetime since it reports my system does not have it installed even though the procedural check noted in #2 above verifies that it is.

a. "A Description of the Changes to the Security Settings of the Web Content Zones in Internet Explorer 6 (Q300443)."

b. "Disabling Unsigned Applets Appears to Disable Signed Applets (Q305830)."

Note: When using MVM version 5.00.3802 and IE6, the disabling of unsigned applets also appears to disable signed applets.

c. "HOW TO: Set Java Security in IE (Q315674)."

P.S. "Gmail is an experiment in a new kind of webmail"
Collapse -
by Longhornmid04 / December 11, 2004 2:51 PM PST

problem #1:

still doesn't work in IE, but it does in firefox. i admit it... i stopped using IE about 2 minutes after i installed firefox just to try it out.

problem #2:

i had activated my content advisor the other day. deactivated it and the save target as works fine.

thanks everybody for the help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.