Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

IE Toolbar - OUT OF CONTROL!!

by 5dukesnnc / November 3, 2004 9:30 AM PST

I'm operating a new Dell Dimension 8400, Pentium 4 with 3 GHz speed and 1 GHz memory, Windows XP, Office Small Business Edition 2003.

I had been having some problems with having a web page open, clicking on a link in that web page that actually opened a new web page then when I closed, the page "underneath" would be locked up. I questioned in a different post, ran all the scans with House Call Ad-ware and Spy Bot. Did a System File check and finally had to take necessary steps to reinstall IE.

This corrected that problem so I proceeded with also installing SP2 by backing up my system, again running all the necessary scans for viruses with Norton, doing live updates for Notorn and checking for Spyware with House Call, Ad-Aware and Spy Bot.

Somewhere in all this my IE toolbars do not remain as I want them. I know how to click on view, toolbars and see what all is checked. I also know how to unlock, change how I want and then lock them back but once I close IE and reopen, any change I may have made such as pulling the link toolbar to the left enough to reveal the three most favorite links are hidden again.

I've looked in add/remove at the programs listed and I really do not see any unnecessary toolbars. I had Google but since I installed SP2, I could see that it had a pop-up blocker feature so I removed Google since that was my main reason for having.

I know some would say "don't use IE" as your browser. That's fine but since I have to use that browser at work, I really prefer not getting used to something different. I can't make changes to the settings or appearance of my office computer, which is why I PREFER the opportunity to change my personal computer.

There are other users on my home computer but I checked the add/remove in Control Panel while signed on as each and I didn't see any "extra" toolbar.

I had posted this question in Computer Help and did the couple of steps suggested but still it does not save my changes. One of the suggestions was to be sure I had Administrator capabilities while the other users didn't. I then made my changes in each of the three but once IE was closed, it went back to old setting (which is the address toolbar goes all the way across and does not allow you to see any of your favorite Links).

Before my new computer, I used Hot Bar but understood it had Spyware. I have installed IncrediBar on this computer but it has never really caused problems that I'm aware of and when I do scans for Ad-Aware, etc., it never links any of the results to that toolbar. I actually installed as soon as I got the computer so I would have thought it that posed a problem, it would have occurred right away and I think it just has been recently.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Right now the only fix is to make the changes and then minimize if I want it to remain. Thanks for your suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE Toolbar - OUT OF CONTROL!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE Toolbar - OUT OF CONTROL!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: IE Toolbar - OUT OF CONTROL!!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 3, 2004 9:48 AM PST

Hi 5,

I remember your thread from before. I'm sorry that you still have this problem. I don't know what else to suggest .

If it wasn't for the fact that you were having this problem before you installed SP2 I might have suggested that the SP2 conflicted with IncrediBar, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Having said that, I don't know what IncrediBar is, but if you have tried all else and nothing works, why not see if uninstalling IncrediBar helps. if not, you can always re-install it again.

Otherwise, I hope other people have some better ideas.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) try "lock toolbars"
by AussiePete / November 3, 2004 8:45 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: IE Toolbar - OUT OF CONTROL!!
by Cetin Denislam / November 3, 2004 9:26 PM PST

When you're pulling the link toolbar to the left enough to reveal the three most favorite links the change is stored in the ITBarLayout under the following registry path:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser

Note

HKCU is HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Caution

Backup your registry or create a restore point before.

Open regedit and expand the above registry path. Right click, select Permissions. You should set the permissions to Full Control for Administrators and SYSTEM and check out that all the Deny boxes are unchecked.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!