HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

IE takes long to boot (1 min.) and no connection to a link

by leukman / June 18, 2010 1:39 PM PDT

Have Dell Dimension 4600 with Windows XP home edition and service pack 3. Connected a router 2 months and all was fine until a few days ago when i noticed that it took about 1 min. to connect to IE web site of Yahoo or MSN or any other and when i clicked onto a link it would not take me there and froze for awhile and stayed on original page.
I cleaned all the cache, cookies, history defraged and also a registry defrag. Went to several restore points, but none worked
If i get an email in Yahoo or MSN and i want to click on a jpeg or video or any link it will hot bring it up.
I still have AOL too and have no problems with it
Hope somone can help---Thanks
Gary

Message was edited by: admin to remove email address to prevent spam harvesters from picking it up.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE takes long to boot (1 min.) and no connection to a link
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE takes long to boot (1 min.) and no connection to a link
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That email address
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 18, 2010 9:38 PM PDT

Please don't post your email addresses in forums, whether these forums or elsewhere. Forum "Bots", (robots), trawl forums for email addresses for spamming. You surely do not want spam.

IE problems can often be traced back to bad Add-ons. Check through your IE Add-ons, (Tools > Manage Add-ons), and look for anything foreign. You can do an elimination test if you wish.

Defragging would not have helped, and I see you used some "Registry Cleaner". That can be bad news. Such optimisers often cause more damage than they fix.

Mark

(I have asked the Forum Admin to edit out your email address. This will be done after the weekend).

Collapse -
Thanks
by leukman / June 22, 2010 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: That email address

Appreciate your answer i should have known better to put my e-mail on sorry

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.