Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

IE shuts down.....

by gerri / October 24, 2005 2:42 AM PDT

My granddaughter's computer has Windows XP, and the IE 6.0 shuts down constantly. I thought perhaps it had to do with the service pak updates -- although I see that she has computer set for automatic updates.

After installing XP Service Pks, XP Professional, IE shuts down and does NOT ALLOW THE UPDATE to proceed. but sends an error report message notifying IE is shutting down

Why is IE shutting down? I am really a bit of novice so any step by step help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Gerri

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE shuts down.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE shuts down.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What do you do about spyware/viruses?
by thought_stazi / October 24, 2005 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: IE shuts down.....
Collapse -
re : ie problems
by danthevan / October 24, 2005 4:34 AM PDT

Do I know exactly whats happening no,but it is likely third party software,spyware or viruses.

Scan for viruses and spyware on pandasoftware.com and houscall.trendmicro.com

start and run and type inetcpl.cpl and click ok ,delete cookies files and clear history and click settings and view objects and remove all the downloaded program files.

click connections tab and lan settings and make sure no proxies selected.

advanced tab and uncheck enable third party browser extensions.

download update and run microsoft antispyware and spybot search and destroy.

test if ie stays open in safe mode with networking.

try those steps and post the results, if you have viruses how much spyware found etc.

does ie stay open in safe mode with networking?

Collapse -
IE problems with shutting down.
by gerri / October 24, 2005 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: re : ie problems

I had already run Housecall and AVG for virus , and Ad-Aware and cleaned it out. I will follow the other steps and let you know....thanks

Collapse -
Just to note.
by Stan Chambers / October 25, 2005 1:50 AM PDT

AVG and Adaware will not find all spyware and malware.
You need to run more than these programs.
AVG is an anti virus program while Adaware is primarily for adware. I don't see any programs listed for spyware.
When it comes to spyware & adware, you need at least three separate programs, and at times even more may be required to find the bugs.
This is a list of what I use to keep my computer clean of such.

Adaware se personnal
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/

cwshredder
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

Ewido Security Suite 3.0
http://www.download.com/Ewido-Security-Suite/3000-8022_4-10326287.html

Switch to Firefox Browser
http://www.mozilla.org/

Collapse -
I.E. Shutting Down
by kingt / November 15, 2005 12:07 AM PST
In reply to: Just to note.

I have many computers under my control that are have the problem of Internet Explorer 6.0 shutting down for no special reason. I can't find any commonality for this problem. If anybody has some answers, please let me know.

Collapse -
ie problems
by maybell56 / November 15, 2005 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: I.E. Shutting Down

what u need to do is install netscape browser....after u do that u need to take off your ie and reinstall it ...make sure all ie files are deleated....reinstall ie and update... u shouldnt have any more problems ....I did it and now it works great
Denise

Collapse -
Well consider the posibility of...
by spy HH / October 24, 2005 8:48 AM PDT

consider the posibility of Ie posible damage...

Change IE version and see if the problem persists.

Collapse -
IE shutting down..
by gerri / October 27, 2005 7:08 AM PDT

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses. I did download Spyware Blaster which she did not have on her computer...and ran it again.

Possible damage to IE could be the issue.

Would this problem of IE shutting down be in the memory???

TIA
Gerri

Collapse -
IE shutting down..
by Stan Chambers / October 30, 2005 10:25 AM PST
In reply to: IE shutting down..

It's commonly accepted that IE has bugs. That's why I suggested switching to Firefox.
You can try this tiny utility that can repair some of the bugs.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

Collapse -
Thats partly beside the point
by pearljamkornfan / November 15, 2005 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: IE shutting down..

Granted you can use a new browser, but you need IE for windows / microsoft updates, and if IE doesnt work, neither do these.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.