Computer Help forum

General discussion

IE running when I don't want it to

by beelissa / February 2, 2006 12:14 AM PST

I have had this problem since I got my laptop.

Immediately, when I got the laptop. I installed Firefox. The time it took to download it was probably the only time we've used IE on this computer. In fact, IE on this computer has some horrible spyware toolbar on it that we can't seem to remove (even if we could remove it, we wouldn't use IE anyway.)

FYI, we've had the computer since last March.

Anyway, we keep noticing that IE runs, anyway. You can't see it on the taskbar, but it's there. If you do CRTL-ALT-DEL and click on the "Processes" tab you sometimes see IEXPLORE.EXE on the list. Also, for quite a long while I would get popups in IE windows, though I was either surfing the net in Firefox or sometimes not even surfing the net. That has gone away, apparently we've finally got a good pop-up blocker (I even booted up IE, installed a popup blocker in it, then closed it, to try and get rid of this problem).

More recently, we keep getting a message that Internet Explorer encountered a problem and had to close "sorry for the inconvenience". The only thing is, we never opened IE. Often we get this message almost immediately upon booting the computer.

Why is it trying to run when we are not asking it to? And, more importantly, how can I stop it? I've even told my firewall not to allow IE access to the internet -- but that doesn't keep it from running. What can I do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE running when I don't want it to
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE running when I don't want it to
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What pest control do you use?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2006 12:25 AM PST

May I suggest EWIDO and HOUSECALL for a scan today?

Bob

Collapse -
not enough RAM
by beelissa / February 12, 2006 5:06 AM PST

I use AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy. Spybot crashes due to insufficient memory before it's completed. I can let it run for awhile and it will erase what it finds, then I restart and run it again and let it get a little further, but I can't ever let it finish on this laptop with 256 mb of RAM. I tried EWIDO, which I'd never heard of before, with the same result. I also used to have Yahoo anti-spy, which I can't seem to get to work since Firefox's recent update -- it comes with the Yahoo toolbar.

Will housecall cause a similar memory problem? Is there another program that isn't such a memory hog?

I really hate that there can be programs running on MY computer that I didn't ask to run. Periodically I go into the processes list and force IE to close (it hides, doesn't show itself in the applications list), but I can't be bothered to watch that all of the time. I regularly check my firewall and disable any program I don't want using the internet, but I feel there isn't much I can do and it really frustrates me. If this were my car, and someone regularly hijacked it and drove it to somewhere I didn't want to go, I could call the police. Why aren't more people complaining that computers work this way?

Collapse -
Beelissa, Suggestions..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 12, 2006 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: not enough RAM
First, open the Control Panel, double click on the "Internet Options" icon, then click on the "Programs" tab, then UNCHECK the box at the bottom of the windows that says: "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it's the default browser". Click on "Apply", then OK.

Next, in order to run all the spyware removal programs, restart the computer into Safe Mode, using the instructions in the links below, then run all the scans.

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Once that's done, follow ALL of the procedures in the instructions below to free up resources/memory and eliminate junk files on your computer. It may take a while to follow all the steps but it should help your computer run smoother.:

For Windows 2000/XP, ignore the first couple of sentences about checking "resources" and the "Performance" tab in the link below but follow the rest of the procedures including the "Services" links at the bottom.

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

Because the links for the "Services" are no longer functioning in the link above, use this one:

Services Guide For Windows XP

Next, clean out the junk files:

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

Since you've also got Service Pack 2 installed on XP, try tidying up a little more with the instructions from the link below:

Cleanup After SP2 Installation
http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.php#after

After following all the procedures above, run Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

After that, for your Windows XP computer add more RAM. In my opinion, you need at least 512 to run XP effectively.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?