HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

IE Problem

by Ken Deyell / November 20, 2004 5:04 AM PST

I have occasionally gotten a pop-up dialog box saying "IE has encountered a problem and must be shutdown",and then it asks you to "send a report" which I do.However,the last 2-3 days I get an average of 3 of these a day.In the detailed information it says there is a solution in "SP2" for XP and I will paste the other comment.Is this Microsoft's way of forcing us to upgrade?My OS W98SE IE6SP1

For Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition, or Windows 2000:

A solution or workaround is not available for the problem you reported. Microsoft is actively working on the issue and will provide information when it becomes available

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: IE Problem/two problems I can see
by Steven Haninger / November 20, 2004 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: IE Problem

Win 98 is not, itself, as stable as XP and IE gets so woven into the system that it often cannot get out of its own way. You can do the usual disk cleanup...empty cache and remove cookies. You need to remove spyware and, especially, "browser helpers" (a definite misnomer). This may help some. If the system is getting older without a fresh complete reinstallation in quite a while, this might be warranted. Win 98 and IE6 isn't going to get much attention from MS, I suspect.

Collapse -
Re: IE Problem/two problems I can see
by Ken Deyell / November 20, 2004 9:28 AM PST

Steven...I like your logical line of thinking.I have done all the normal maintenance things.However,I came across this neat little program that identifies any BHO's that are running,and it identified an "Adobe Reader" helper which I was not aware was running.I use this "reader" alot,and was wondering if I was to "disable" this "helper" if it would affect the use of the Adobe Reader? I realize I should be considering an upgrade to XP.

Collapse -
Adobe reader
by Steven Haninger / November 20, 2004 9:46 AM PST

This was called Acrobat Reader, I believe. If you mean the one from Adobe, it installs on your PC and associates itself with .pdf files and installs as a plugin in your browser(s) to handle PDF files you encounter on the web. I have never known this to be suspicious. BHOs don't help you so much as they help themselves to your information about you and your browsing habits. I saw your post and it's similar to an issue my father is having with his PC and Win 98. Even with Netscape and Firefox on his, he has plenty of lockups and other errors while on the internet...problems I don't have. I am trying to help him (and myself because I'm the one running over there to try and fix his machine) move toward XP and Firefox.

Collapse -
''IE Error Reporting''
by Cursorcowboy / November 20, 2004 9:34 PM PST
In reply to: IE Problem
"IE has encountered a problem and must be shutdown",and then it asks you to "send a report" which I do.

This is nice to know, but it doesn't give the forum members a clue of what the problem is -- it's simply that Error Reporting is used which apparently doesn't furnish a solution. In order for the forum members to help, we have to know what the problem is/was that gets reported.

1. The article [Q276550] explains that the Internet Explorer Error Reporting (IERT) tool is included with all versions of Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 and 6 and is available for download otherwise.

a. This tool can be used to report (click to see an example screenshot) unrecoverable errors (there are more user-mode faults, such as, general protection faults or invalid page faults) to Microsoft over the Internet for analysis and that the details can be viewed before deciding.

b. If a report is sent and a known cure exist, a link is provided to a service pack, hotfix, or to a Microsoft Knowledge Base article.

Note: When seeking help and analyses on the forum, please report all known information from this report. Otherwise, disable this tool, and once the anomaly occurs, report the error generated by the system.

c. If you click the "Click here" link at the bottom of the furnished message box, the type of error signature information is described in the article "Iexplore.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" error message when you try to start Internet Explorer (Q831432). If it's BHO related:

? "Browser Helper Objects: The Browser the Way You Want It?

? "What is a Browser Helper Object?."

? "BHODemon" that can be downloaded may assist with your situation perhaps.

2. "Dealing with Error Messages."

3. Please. Always report the error information this report contains when wanting our analyses. Thank you.
Collapse -
Re: ''IE Error Reporting''
by Ken Deyell / November 21, 2004 8:52 AM PST
In reply to: ''IE Error Reporting''

Thanks for the reminder to include the "error message".By the way the little utility you recommended (BHODemon)is the one I stumbled across.Most of my "errors" indicated "IE caused an invalid page fault".I just came across the following direction from another forum I frequent,and I have downloaded this update.Thanks guys for your help,and Steven you may want to check this update out for your father.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a463aa0a-b50b-453a-9803-ef6f7f4b451e&DisplayLang=en

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.