Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

IE popups

by detap1 / July 14, 2005 12:25 AM PDT

Running Windows Me
I'm getting Internet Explorer popups on my computer. I have downloaded Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Hijack This. I have changed to Firefox. Internet Explorer still exists on the computer but I'm afraid if I start deleting it, I will delete something the computer needs. Popups occur at any time. In fact, right in the middle of this message. After the downloads and changing to Firefox, nothing touches the popups. I read on the web somewhere that they are coming from a file in the computer and I would have to identify that file and delete it. But there's lot of files to select from and I wouldn't know the name of it anyway. What would you suggest now?
Ed

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE popups
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE popups
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Ed
by roddy32 / July 14, 2005 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: IE popups

It would help if you told us what the popups are for. Ad-Aware and Spybot don't find anything? Also please try cwshredder and see if it finds something and please give us as much more information as you can.
Also, you can not uninstall IE. You need it for Windows Updates.

You can get cwshredder here. Make sure that you only get the ''Stand-Alone'' version. ALL windows have to be closed when you run it.

http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

Also do an online scan at one or all of these.
Housecall (using IE with Active-X)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Housecall (all browsers using java)
http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/products/housecall_launch.php

PandaActivescan
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

Collapse -
Hello
by littlegeneral / July 14, 2005 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Ed

Let me understand this right. You are using Firefox and you still get popup ads.. Then you have a trojan ad downloader. The only way to remove this program is to download a trojan cleaner and run the scan in safe mode..
Here is trojan cleaner to try
www.trojanhunter.com
I always recommend running in safe mode. Because trojan programs usually run in the background and are hard to remove anyways. Safemode, only allows certain programs to run... Hope this helps

Collapse -
About Hijackthis.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2005 12:45 AM PDT

It doesn't do anything but report all things that may be interesting. By no means should you delete anything there without guidance.

-> Tell where the post is that you made on a HJT forum.

Bob

Collapse -
sorry
by dyspyzthespyz / July 14, 2005 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: About Hijackthis.

don't disable system restore but before cleaning, create a new point to rid of previous points if manuale cleaning doesn't rid you of these, also, Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) may aid in the removal of this as well, it is a free download. here at Me Restore Point Tips will aid you in the process of system restore and clearing restore points and setting another.

Collapse -
ok....
by dyspyzthespyz / July 14, 2005 12:53 AM PDT

first thing, do NOT attempt to remove IE from your system, especially with Me, IE is part of the operating system itself and doing so, will seriously create problems a plenty...
now, you say you have ''downloaded'' spybot, adaware, and hjt....did you scan with the first two? or did you just download them?
hijackthis (hjt) is a tool to be used by an advanced user, it is not intended for newbies, that one should be kept in its own seperate folder not in a temp or desktop (example: C:\hjt) and remain there until someone who will help you clean your system asks for it, if not used properly, that will cause major problems as well.
try this and post back to this thread for further suggestions if still experiencing problems. some of these you may have already tried but please try in order.

1 DISABLE SYSTEM RESTORE: http://www.pchell.com/virus/systemrestore.shtml
One of the best features of Windows ME or XP is the System Restore option, however if a virus infects a computer with this operating system the virus may be accidentally backed up because of this feature. In order to completely remove a virus on these operating systems, you should disable System Restore before cleaning the system, then reenable it after the system is clean.

2. Download and Save to your Hard Drive''
WinSock fix http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

WinSockFix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries.

It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings.

If you encounter connection problems after removing network related software, Adware or after registry clean-up.

It can create a registry backup of your current settings, so it is fairly safe to use.

Note: Be sure to read the ''Info'' before running this software.

3. Perform an online virus scan set to fix or repair automatically:

Collapse -
Just so you know
by roddy32 / July 14, 2005 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: ok....

The HijackThis Experts usually recommend disabling System Restore as the LAST step. A dirty restore point is better than nothing at all, especially if there is a problem removing the malware. For that reason, we recommend the same thing in here. Also, I just wanted to say that you offer good advice in here and we appreciate the help. Happy

Collapse -
yeah
by dyspyzthespyz / July 14, 2005 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Just so you know

damn, ive been meaning to take that out, and or change it to delete previous restore points and keeping the current, that is a pre-form that i made back in the day when i was running Me (now that install disk is a beautiful coaster). sorry about that and ill make the changes now with it fresh in the 'ol bean....;)

Collapse -
I know what you mean about the
by roddy32 / July 14, 2005 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: yeah

premade posts. I have a bundle of them and forget to change them sometimes. They sure come in handy though and save a lot of typing LOL. Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!