Computer Help forum

General discussion

IE keeps poping up

I have an HP laptop. It is about 6 years old. I had a new hard drive put in about a month ago. Xp was put on it. I removed the IE. Now when i close a window all these IE windows pop up. Sometimes 40 or 50 get open before i can get any of them closed. I use the AOL explorer If anyone has any ideas on what I could do i would really appreciate it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE keeps poping up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE keeps poping up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Adverts?

In reply to: IE keeps poping up

Adverts or blank windows?

It is likely you have adware on your computer. What do you use to protect it from hackers, viruses, adware and other spyware?

Mark

Collapse -
IE popping up

In reply to: Adverts?

I run the Norton on it. I also have the Ad-Aware. I run the scans regularly

Collapse -
Can you screenshot what happens?

In reply to: IE popping up

It will help me figure out what is wrong.

It might be a registry problem where you've uninstalled IE (not reccomended).

Thanks,

Mad.

Collapse -
can you screenshot what happens?

In reply to: Can you screenshot what happens?

that is why I uninstalled IE. it started doing that. I thought that if I uninstalled it that it wouuld stop

Collapse -
Well

In reply to: can you screenshot what happens?

Well, considering AOL's web browser is based on IE, and the fact that you can't uninstall IE, basically amounts to you having likely been infested with malware.

Norton and AdAware are not enough if you're going to use anything based on IE. You'd really probably be better off just dumping AOL, getting a real ISP, and using something like Firefox or Opera as your primary browser.

Collapse -
Well

In reply to: Well

ok I will give it a try. Thanks

Collapse -
AOL ISP

You may not have to move from AOL to another ISP.

There is nothing to stop you using another browser, eg Firefox, SeaMonkey, etc and still surf the internet using AOL as your ISP.

Firefox is a safer browser to use than IE or any IE based browsers like the one AOL uses, and AOL is just an ISP, they cannot force you to keep using their browser.

That screenshot of those popup windows you were asked for would have been interesting. A web site like ImageShack or Photobucket will host an image for you. All you have to do is press the Printscreen key on your keyboard when one of those popups is displayed, then open your favorite image editor, (MS Paint will do in your Start menu > All Programs > Accessories), then going to Edit > Paste to paste the image into it. Save the image as a JPEG or JPG file, then upload it to ImageShack or PhotoBucket and tell us the url we address they give you.

Mark

Collapse -
You can surf the web

without changing ISPs. Make sure you are connected to the internet, then just open your browser and go. There is no reason to open up the AOL browser. Of course, you won't get their stuff, but you can still go wherever you like on the internet.

Denise

P.S. I would dump AOL too, but that's your choice.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.