General discussion

IE Freezes on Startup

My Internet Explorer freezes when I try to open it. (Mozilla Firefox works OK.)

I've run AVG, Ad-Aware, and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, but none of them fixed the problem.

I'm running Windows XP Media Center edition.
Windows version 5.1 / Service Pack 2.

I think the virus came from a link in an email.

Please help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: IE Freezes on Startup
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: IE Freezes on Startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
More Questions Than Answers..

JD..

It would help to know which version of Internet Explorer, you're using.

You wrote you think the virus came from a link in an email. What makes you believe it's virus related? You stated your anti-virus and anti-spyware applications didn't 'fix the problem'. Did they FIND a problem?

You also mentioned IE is freezing at startup. Does it freeze to the point, you're unable to use it? Did the problem with IE occur "all of a sudden"? Try to give us as much detailed information as possible.

If it's strictly an Internet Explorer problem, we can suggest some troubleshooting steps. But without the above information, it might not make sense at this point.

Help us, help you..
Carol

- Collapse -
IE Freezes on Startup

I'm using Internet Explorer 7 Version 7.0.5730.13

My anti-virus and anti-spyware found nothing except some privacy objects, but nothing critical. (I can send you the logs if you need them.)

IE had been freezing to the point of being unusable.
It's not doing it right now, but I'm still concerned that I have a problem.

The freeze up did seem to start "all of a sudden", soon after a family member opened an email with a link in it.

Thanks for your assistance.

- Collapse -
Glad To Hear Things Have Improved..

JD..

Putting aside the fact, you're no longer experiencing a problem, how about trying a couple of other scanners, to put your mind at ease.

ESET Online Scanner:
http://www.eset.com/online-scanner - Frequently Asked Questions should address any questions you may have.

SUPERAntiSpyware Online Safe Scan:
http://www.superantispyware.com/onlinescan.html

F-Secure Online Scanner:
http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/security/tools/online-scanner/

There are countless reasons, which could have caused Internet Explorer to function improperly. Most of which, don't just suddenly disappear. That said, if you start to experience problems in the future, the first thing I would suggest is to check your add-ons or plug-ins. It's one of the first troubleshooting steps, when Internet Explorer hangs or freezes.

See Microsoft's FixIt diagnostic tool, "Fix Internet Explorer add-on problems when IE hangs or freezes". You can also do it yourself, by disabling them one at a time. Or even disable all of them. Did the same family, who clicked on the link, install any new toolbars? Software? Or games, perhaps?

Another consideration might be to install Service Pack 3. It's been known to resolve certain Internet Explorer issues.

Try some different scanners first. If you start to experience problems again, please don't hesitate to post back and let us know. At that point, we can suggest some additional troubleshooting steps.

Best of luck..
Carol

- Collapse -
IE freezes on start up

REBOOT COMPUTER.
PRESS F8 WHEN YOU SEE BLACK SCREEN,KEEP PRESSING(DON'T HOLD THE BUTTON DOWN)
WHEN SAFE MODE SCREEN SHOWS BLACK BACKGROUND WHITE LETTERS.PRESS SAFE MODE.
YOU WILL SEE LOADS OF FILE NAMES.LET IT GO OFF AND SCREEN WILL COME UP WITH "SAFE" IN 4 CORNERS OF SCREEN.A BOX WILL SHOW WTH A "YES" AND A "NO," PRESS NO AND GO INTO SYSTEM RESTORE.CHOOSE A TIME WHEN IT WAS WORKING OK.FIXED.

CNET Forums

Forum Info