Windows Vista forum

General discussion

IE Explorer 8

by Miss Dixi / November 20, 2010 10:33 AM PST

When I try to access a website I have visited for years, I get an error message from Internet Explorer that it cannot access this site. I have contacted the webmaster and she says it is all good on her end. I have contacted my DSL webmaster and he says the signal is being received and sent out fine. He suggests it is my computer. My friend tried this website (he is on the same DSL) on three different browsers and received an error. My other computer also receives this error. What is going on and what can I do about it. I am wondering how many other websites I have tried to visit and wrote off as bad addresses as IE gives me and error. Thankyou. This is the website and I can access this but not any of the links. Also they send me a newsletter and I cannot access any of the links. ?? http://www.hp.com/united-states/hho/classes/?jumpid=hpr_R1002_USEN

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE Explorer 8
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE Explorer 8
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like
by Jimmy Greystone / November 20, 2010 11:35 AM PST
In reply to: IE Explorer 8

Sounds like a simple case of a bad DNS update that should clear up in a few days max. You can try to speed that along, but there's no guarantees it will work.

Open up a DOS prompt and type in (without quotes) "ipconfig /flushdns" and hit enter. It should be almost instantaneous.

The problem could be that your ISP's DNS server has a stale entry, and if that's the case, you can only wait until the next refresh which should be every couple of days tops. I am assuming that when you say your friend is on "the same DSL" you mean came to your house with a laptop, connected to your router, and tried it. If you just mean he has service through the same company, then they have a bad DNS entry, and you'll just have to wait it out.

That being said... IE is a notoriously insecure web browser, and you would be well advised to find an alternative. You can take your pick between Firefox, Safari, Opera, and Chrome. There are a few others out there, but those are the major players. All four are free, so give them all a try and keep the one, or ones, you like best. Reserve IE for those rare pages that absolutely will not load with anything else, and you absolutely need to be able to use.

Collapse -
IE8
by Miss Dixi / December 11, 2010 3:19 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds like

Tried Firefox but that did not work either. Has been like this for several months now and my DSL provider swears the signal is coming in clear. Where do I look now?

Collapse -
Sounds like the old DNS issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2010 3:44 AM PST
In reply to: IE Explorer 8

While I can't find what the error message is, this sounds like the old DNS issue. If your web master says they are good then you often find yourself learning far more than you bargained for.

Example: How does the internet convert the URL to an numeric IP address? (DNS)

Example: How do I test if my ISP's DNS has that entry? (NSLOOKUP)

These areas are documented on the web so I don't duplicate it here but start by showing the key words to learn about.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!