Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

IE error message when opening internet home page

Starting this morning, everytime I logon to the internet -- we have DSL -- by the time the home page is up, I get an error. The error reads "Iexplore has caused an error in URLMON.DLL" The only option is to close the error box, which then closes the internet connection. What's the deal? Any suggestions? Thanks for any help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE error message when opening internet home page
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE error message when opening internet home page
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:IE error message when opening internet home page

In reply to: IE error message when opening internet home page

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6141-0.html?forumID=8&threadID=13453&start=0 was another discussion about that. Sadly, they lead off with an error message that was incorrect so the response are slightly off too, but the basics are there.

I think it's a WEB PAGE HIJACKER so I'll supply information about that.

Parasite removal programs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0 notes the five scanning tools and removal tools that are fairly safe. If one does encounter an issue, its always been damage done by the MALWARE. The most common issue being Layered Service Provider replacement which you can use LSPFIX (Hint: use http://www.google.com to find).

The thread has follow on discussions about new links if you don't want to use Google to find an item.

Bob

PS. All the tools are free.
Collapse -
Re:Iexplore has caused an error in URLMON.DLL

When I try to open my "Internet Explorer" main page, the message appears "Ixplore has caused an error in
URLMON.DLL and will now close. When you click on the close button the page closes. Everytime you try to open "Internet Explorer", this error message appears and you have to close the page. Can someone help? Thank you!

Collapse -
Re:Re:Iexplore has caused an error in URLMON.DLL (Try a new post...)

In reply to: Re:Iexplore has caused an error in URLMON.DLL

Collapse -
Re:IE error message when opening internet home page

1. Perhaps one or more of the twelve files listed in the article [Q281679], may be missing, damaged, or improperly registered. Other files are: Dispex.dll (IE6SP1v5.6.0.6626); Vbscript.dll; Scrrun.dll; Jscript.dll; Olepro32.dll; Vbscript.dll; Rsabase.dll; Msscript.ocx; Cachevu.dll; and Iepeers.dll. Note: The last two or three are not default Win98 files and may not be on your system. If one is not, you'll simply get an error that the file name is invalid -- don't worry about it. FWIW, you may also opt for using the "[urlhttp://mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFIX.htm]IEFix Utility" which can be downloaded from this site.

2. It may be to your advantage to download and install the Win98/IE6SP1 update explained in the article [Q259737] for the files, Asycfilt.dll (v2.40.4515); Oleaut32.dll (ditto); Olepro32.dll (ditto); and Stdole2.tlb (v5.0.4515).

3. If you are unable to connect to any secure sites and the Cipher Strength: entry reflects "0 Bit" (click Help, About Internet Explorer), apply the fix explained in (Q261328). Also review the article, "Cannot Gain Access to Certain Secure Web Sites (Q246725)."

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.