Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Ie crashes

by bclion28 / January 23, 2006 3:49 AM PST

I used to have a bit of technical background but have been away from the scene for a while. Anyway trying to help a friend with his computer. Here is his problem:

Int. Exp. refuses to allow more than one window at a time.ie. no multi-taking.
It also lockes and gives the dreaded "sorry I.E. has to close message," while surfing. The MSFT message center box stated a possible add-on problem to I.E. When I checked in tools there were several BHO's. How can I isolate and disable; could I set IE back to the default settings or would it be wise to do a re-install of Ie? Any help appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ie crashes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ie crashes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The usual...
by John.Wilkinson / January 23, 2006 6:52 AM PST
In reply to: Ie crashes

While knowing the operating system and version of IE would be helpful, the solutions are pretty much the same:

* I doubt it will work, but try resetting IE to the default settings. (Go tools->internet options and use the restore settings on the "advanced" and "programs" tabs.)

* Click here to download and run IEFix.

* Run virus and spyware scans, as numerous ones will strike IE. You can click here for the complete list. For a basic screening, use a computer based AV, online AV scan, AdAware, SpyBot, and Microsoft Antispyware.

* Repair/reinstall IE. For IE6 on Windows XP click here. If it's IE6 running on an older version of Windows, click here for uninstallation instructions, then here to download IE6's installer.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Oh, and for the BHOs...
by John.Wilkinson / January 23, 2006 7:00 AM PST
In reply to: The usual...

I apparently skipped right over BHOs in my previous post. For that there isn't really a way of disabling them...your only option is to remove them. Just go to the directory local drive:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files and delete everything you find, then relaunch IE. You'll have to reinstall them one at a time, starting with Java and Flash, but it's the best you can do in that respect. Also, try uninstalling the Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc toolbars and see if it makes a difference.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Controlling BHOs.
by Cursorcowboy / January 23, 2006 7:46 PM PST
Collapse -
RE;Controlling BHOs
by bclion28 / January 24, 2006 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: Controlling BHOs.

A BHO is a ''supposed'' ''Browser Helper Object.'' Although they can in fact be a spyware at times.

Collapse -
(NT) thanks mouse
by bclion28 / January 24, 2006 4:52 AM PST

I had not ried removing the BHOs. I had only used the disable function in tools. Stupid me. It would not be the first time that a Windows function was ineffective. I will try this. You have been a tremendous help mousearoma.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!