Computer Help forum

General discussion

IE and Modzilla Can't Display Webpage WITH Internet

by NeonAddiction / November 2, 2009 3:39 PM PST

So, my friend recently let me borrow her:
EMachines D620 Laptop
With Windows Vista Home Basic Edition.

Its set up to connect to my wireless router DSL internet, and was working perfectly prior to a few days ago.

Last night, while using the laptop, I was prompted to install Windows Updates, which were the Vista Service Pack 2, among others. All of the updates were successfully installed, and the computer was rebooted fine. I used the laptop perfectly and shut it off at night.

NOW, This morning, I turned on the laptop and it connected to my wireless fine, but when IE and Firefox are opened, it says CAN'T DISPLAY WEBPAGE.

I assumed it was a firewall or security program, because my internet connection IS fine. Nortons Antivirus was installed, but had expired, so I uninstalled it. Still nothing. I went online, where there were many different answers involving Resetting the ipconfig among others. I tried that one Websock program, still nothing.

I tried a System Restore but the earliest was to yesterday. Still nothing.

I called Microsoft customer service, was on the phone 2 hours, where the helper had me try to uninstall my modem/wireless card, reinstall it, and STILL nothing. He didn't know how to fix it!

I ended up doing a SECOND system restore back to the farthest point, which was to before updating the Service Pack which was yesterday. AND STILL I CAN'T VIEW WEB PAGES. I tried deleting all the caches on the internet browsers. I tried fiddling with the setting to the network. But nothing is wrong with the network connections. It is properly connected wirelessly.

Since it isn't the connection itself, its something in the programs that is blocking the web pages from showing! But I don't know what!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE and Modzilla Can't Display Webpage WITH Internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE and Modzilla Can't Display Webpage WITH Internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Additional Info:
by NeonAddiction / November 2, 2009 3:49 PM PST

Going through all the steps with the customer service rep, made me sure that the computer DOES have proper internet connection.

I am able to "ping" websites, and ip addresses, and download driver updates and what not. Yahoo messager works also, so I'm assuming its only IE and Firefox.

When opened, IE and FireFox both have the PAGE CAN'T BE DISPLAYED screen. I'm working online, so I'm not sure what is the problem with it!

Collapse -
PROBLEM SOLVED.
by NeonAddiction / November 2, 2009 5:16 PM PST

I feel stupid for posting this on here, and then finding the solution.

But after searching countless forums, someone suggested something.

They said to download the Norton REMOVAL Tool. I installed the program, and it fully uninstalled Norton, even though i thought I un-installed it correctly.

THIS FIXED THE PROBLEM 100%.

Collapse -
Explainer and complainer (me).
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 8:51 PM PST
In reply to: PROBLEM SOLVED.

I too have found when Norton expires or the PC clock is too far off Symantec software shuts off the internet access.

Complaint: Symantec needs to stop doing this. It is causing everyday folk to take machines into shops needlessly.

Hint: Symantec needs to add another popup revealing that "Symantec products have expired and will block your internet access for safety."
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.