Going through all the steps with the customer service rep, made me sure that the computer DOES have proper internet connection.
I am able to "ping" websites, and ip addresses, and download driver updates and what not. Yahoo messager works also, so I'm assuming its only IE and Firefox.
When opened, IE and FireFox both have the PAGE CAN'T BE DISPLAYED screen. I'm working online, so I'm not sure what is the problem with it!
So, my friend recently let me borrow her:
EMachines D620 Laptop
With Windows Vista Home Basic Edition.
Its set up to connect to my wireless router DSL internet, and was working perfectly prior to a few days ago.
Last night, while using the laptop, I was prompted to install Windows Updates, which were the Vista Service Pack 2, among others. All of the updates were successfully installed, and the computer was rebooted fine. I used the laptop perfectly and shut it off at night.
NOW, This morning, I turned on the laptop and it connected to my wireless fine, but when IE and Firefox are opened, it says CAN'T DISPLAY WEBPAGE.
I assumed it was a firewall or security program, because my internet connection IS fine. Nortons Antivirus was installed, but had expired, so I uninstalled it. Still nothing. I went online, where there were many different answers involving Resetting the ipconfig among others. I tried that one Websock program, still nothing.
I tried a System Restore but the earliest was to yesterday. Still nothing.
I called Microsoft customer service, was on the phone 2 hours, where the helper had me try to uninstall my modem/wireless card, reinstall it, and STILL nothing. He didn't know how to fix it!
I ended up doing a SECOND system restore back to the farthest point, which was to before updating the Service Pack which was yesterday. AND STILL I CAN'T VIEW WEB PAGES. I tried deleting all the caches on the internet browsers. I tried fiddling with the setting to the network. But nothing is wrong with the network connections. It is properly connected wirelessly.
Since it isn't the connection itself, its something in the programs that is blocking the web pages from showing! But I don't know what!