Computer Help forum

General discussion

IE and cache?

by whsftbldad / January 21, 2006 8:28 AM PST

Hopefully someone can help here. I have checked the HD with adaware, spybot, ewido (for malware) and NAV corporate. There were no issues found. I have done a disk cleanup and a defragment, deleted unneeded pictures and files unrelated to the OS. When IE comes up, it loads fairly quickly. If I type in an address in the url that was not in history or has a cookie on the machine it takes about 1 minute for the page to load. Once the page is loaded the surf speed is fine. If I click on a link it seems to be quick also. If I download, the speeds are around 40 to 200kbps. It used to be around 350 to 400. Cnet claims my DL speed is at 3675mbps on a 4 mbps connection. What could be causing the initial page to load that slowly with no virus, ad or spyware being detected?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE and cache?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE and cache?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have You Tried A Secondary Browsers?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 8:49 AM PST
In reply to: IE and cache?

It may just be an Internet Explorer issue..Download the free Firefox browser from the link below and install it. Although Firefox takes a few seconds to load initially to open the home page, it should load all type URL's fine.

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Another thought..Try disabling one of the services that's not required..If you're using a HOSTS file and IF you're using Windows 2000 or XP, disabling the "DNS Client" service is a requirement. Do it like this: Click on Start-Run, type "services.msc", then click on OK. When the "Services" window loads, scroll down to the "DNS Client" service and double click on it. In the "Start Up Type" line, change it from "Automatic" to "Manual" by using the drop down arrow. Then click on the "Stop" button in the "Service Status" section. Now click on "Apply", then OK. Now restart the computer and see if things work quicker.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
this is XP SP2
by whsftbldad / January 21, 2006 8:57 AM PST

What is the DNS service for? I should know this, but it is eluding me right now. There are 3 other computers (all with XP SP2) running on this home network right now without this problem. This all started last Friday and had never been an issue during the entire time of having this OS on here. Also, I use Black Ice for my firewall on all of these computers and I have been getting hit with a UDP Probe SNMP from an address outside of our home network. I set Black Ice to block it forever, but it still seems to be hitting us. Is this related? I have thought about trying Firefox or Mozilla but was unsure of the security issues. Is it really that much better than IE?

Collapse -
You Decide Which Is Better..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: this is XP SP2

Firewalls can cause the issue but if they're all the same, make sure that you don't have two firewalls at the same time..

The "DNS Client" service identifies, caches and resolves DNS names for the computer. If you're using a large HOSTS file, it has to identify every site in HOSTS which causes it to slow down. Changing the setting to "manual" won't cause any problems and can frequently allow the connection to occur quicker.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I will try...but one more question
by whsftbldad / January 22, 2006 3:24 AM PST

Thanks for the insight. I wil try stopping the service and see what it does to correct the problem. Here is the next thing though...just before downloading MS security updates this has been happening. Along with it is the problem of double clicking on My Computer on the desktop. When I try to open it, it takes just as long as the IE does to open the new page in IE. Once it is open, I can explore at normal pace. Is this tied in to the same issue, or do I need to just turn this thing into a car stop in the driveway? Anyway, sorry to have so many questions.

Thanks, Bob

Collapse -
Bob, Troubleshooting Those Items..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 22, 2006 3:43 AM PST

First, make sure you have the most recent drivers for your computer..Video card, audio card, ethernet, dial-up modem, etc..Conflicts with incorrect drivers can slow things down a lot.

Next, try the steps in the link below. Be sure to actually PERFORM the steps..Since DMA is probably already enabled, Toggle DMA off, then on again per the instructions, etc.:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.