Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

IE : A Runtime Error has occurred. Do you wish to Debug?

by madspeed / August 7, 2004 10:47 AM PDT

I received these error messages whenever I browse or enter any new website:

A Runtime Error has occurred. Do you wish to Debug?

Line xxx. Error: Object expected.

It appears that this started happening after removing Spy Sweeper--an adware detection & removal program.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE : A Runtime Error has occurred. Do you wish to Debug?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE : A Runtime Error has occurred. Do you wish to Debug?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: IE : A Runtime Error has occurred. Do you wish to Debug?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2004 10:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
by auldtwa / August 10, 2004 2:06 PM PDT

I have the same problem, though only on selected websites. But they tend to be pretty well established websites and no one else seems to be complaining. So I'm not sure the problem is with the site, though I understand this happens with some sites that use Java programming.

I tried the fix on your link, but still have the problem. But since this happened both on my old computer and my new, with different versions of IE6, I don't think it is entirely my computer's fault.

Anyone have further suggestions? I can't find anything on the MS Knowledge Base about this.

Collapse -
Please read through this forum . .
by Cursorcowboy / August 10, 2004 10:04 PM PDT
Collapse -
by FatMixG / September 8, 2004 6:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
by auldtwa / November 13, 2004 2:54 AM PST

I'd given up on this thread since I'd already unsuccessfully done the routine with the IE Options. And it was happening on SO MANY well established sites (including this one, I think) that I was pretty sure it wasn't site programming errors.

But yesterday I think I solved this for myself. My computer came with the Sun type Java. I upgraded it: that didn't do the trick, but I then went into Control Panel, and thence to the Java Plug-in control panel. On the "Advanced" tab I changed the Java Runtime Enviornment from Default to the filename for the upgrade. That seems to have mostly done it. Still have the problem intermittently, but WAY less.

NB: Java doesn't show up on my Start Menu/Programs. But you can find the version by looking in Add/Remove Programs.

Collapse -
thanx

not a solution but gud temporary sol.thnx buddy..

Collapse -
Java - run time error
by Demaclies / September 7, 2012 5:46 AM PDT

I've had this issue too. This might have occurred after a recent Java update, which is what happened in my case. Go to control panel (if XP) and open the Java control panel, select the 'advanced' tab, and make sure you check the boxes under the first section 'debugging' and under 'security general', check the last five boxes, from 'use SSL 3.0, to TLS 1.2' and see how it goes. If you don't have those options, make sure you start by updating your Java first, then reconfig it to allow those options. Hope this helps.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!