Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Question

IE 9 has fouled up my Windows Mail!

by midela / May 14, 2011 2:14 AM PDT

Hi out There! I am a "Newbie", so please help me as best you can!
Ever since I installed IE9, because of following my Windows Updates last week, I can't read my emails properly. The pictures don't show, unless I click on a browser, and not all emails have that, so I frequently get stuck, because I can't see the pictures.<div>Also, the font on my emails has changed, and now it looks different, not pleasingly so.
I normally use Google chrome as my browser. I just want to be able to view my emails the way I did BEFORE I allowed this update and the install of IE9.
Do I NEED this IE9?
Thanks in advance, for your assistance!
</div>

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE 9 has fouled up my Windows Mail!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE 9 has fouled up my Windows Mail!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You do not need IE9...
by John.Wilkinson / May 14, 2011 4:01 AM PDT

However IE9 does offer several benefits, from performance and security to standards support. Most websites are incorporating HTML5 and CSS3 into their designs, so users of older browsers will receive a reduced experience. The content should still be displayed if the website's designed properly, but it will increasingly "not look right" when compared to IE9, Firefox 4, Chrome, Safari 5, et cetera.

That said, you can choose to uninstall IE9, which will automatically restore IE7/IE8 (whichever you had previously). In addition, you can continue using Chrome, which will give you the befits of the latest standards while not encountering the limitations of the old version of Internet Explorer.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
What about the Font Change?
by midela / May 15, 2011 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: You do not need IE9...

Hi!
I appreciate your reply, thanks! I do have a question about the appearance change, in the font, at the top of an email, when I open it. It is now in bold black, and larger than before. Any idea why it looks different? Should I be concerned?
Also, if I am to understand your info. on your reply, am I ok to to continue to use Chrome? Is there any advantage to switching to Bing?

Collapse -
Explorer 9 dud
by sandrasmac / June 7, 2011 12:27 PM PDT

I had this problem also. I un-installed the Explorer 9 update and it all went back to normal. It did however corrupt my attachment PDFs I have been sending out and it has not fixed this problem. I therefore need to use hotmail to get my PDFs out. Not sure if this is caused by installing Explorer 9 but too much of a coincidence for my liking. I use Chrome and find it better anyway. Dont need E9.

Collapse -
Safe to remove IE 9?
by midela / June 7, 2011 2:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Explorer 9 dud

Hi there!
Thanks for your reply! I'm a little nervous about the "corrupt PDF's." I think I'll try un-installing it anyway.

Collapse -
Answer
your assistance
by Patronage188 / June 7, 2011 5:29 PM PDT

well good sir, you might want to check your BIOS for up-to-date drivers...run your antivirus software for your mouse and your monitor & you may want to download a new graphics card to help with the GUI fuctionality of your windows mail....

Collapse -
Sorry to note ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 7, 2011 5:36 PM PDT
In reply to: your assistance

but all of these (litterally all points) seem totally nonsense.

Kees

Collapse -
Please? Specific help with Vuze and itunes?
by midela / June 8, 2011 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry to note ...

Hi! So, I don't really understand what "Patronage 188" was talking about, as I said, I'm a "Newbie" to this stuff!

Collapse -
Never mind.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 8, 2011 6:35 AM PDT

Neither did I.

Maybe if you could sum up your problems again, you'd get better help.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
MY advice not to use IE
by GODhack / June 10, 2011 2:37 AM PDT

MY advice not to use IE

Collapse -
Your Reasons Why Not?
by midela / June 10, 2011 4:17 AM PDT

Hi!
Thanks for your reply! Can you please tell me, why I SHOULD un-install it? I am nervous about it screwing up PDF files to be sent, if I un-install it.

Collapse -
Misunderstanding.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 10, 2011 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Your Reasons Why Not?

He doesn't talk about IE9 (as opposed to IE8). He says to not use IE at all. He prefers Firefox and Chrome because they run under Linux also and he's a Linux expert.

Installing, uninstalling or using a browser shouldn't have any effect on corrupting files to be sent.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks
by GODhack / June 10, 2011 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Misunderstanding.

You explained everything instead of me..., but made one big mistake.
This is not related to Linux at all.

Collapse -
In that case ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 10, 2011 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

feel free to answer the question yourself. It was "Can you please tell me, why I SHOULD un-install it ".

It's a bad question, because you didn't say that. You just said "not use IE". You'll agree with me, I think, that totally uninstalling IE in Windows is not advisable, because some Microsoft sites (like windowsupdate) need it.
But you might feel like answering the question "Why not use IE?".

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!