Windows Vista forum

Resolved Question

IE 9 and Windows Live Mail often 'stop working'

by ksteil / August 11, 2012 3:52 AM PDT

Recently, the above mentioned features have started to display a 'stopped working' message after a short while of use. This has never happened before and I don't know what would cause this.
I am running Windows Vista and use Avast anti-virus with automatic updates and scans.

ksteil has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE 9 and Windows Live Mail often 'stop working'
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE 9 and Windows Live Mail often 'stop working'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by ksteil

Collapse -
The usual for IE is "Add ins."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2012 5:52 AM PDT

For troubleshooting IE I try the IE SAFE MODE first.

But I may not be the best responder for this since for many years I've skipped IE in favor of other browsers since I don't want to risk my PC's contents to a rogue web page. So I use some other browser and add on Web Of Trust plus AdBlock Plus. In all the scans in the past few years I find an occasional cookie and nothing else.
Bob

Collapse -
IE
by ksteil / August 11, 2012 8:32 AM PDT

Hi, Bob
I'm really a neophyte and don't even know how I would go about changing to another browser.
Do I choose another browser my making it my home page?
Do I leave IE on my PC and just don't use it?

I do get a request on the bottom of IE's page to install add-ins for faster responses, but I always
skip that box.

Would a browser change restore Windows Live Mail to work better again?

Collapse -
It's usually easy as it was from IE 5 to 6 to 7 to 8 to 9.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2012 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: IE

Browsers are plentiful and if you don't like one, you uninstall it and try another.

You can set the home page to anyplace you want in all the current browsers. So that's not an issue or limitation.

You don't touch IE when you install another browser. You can have as many as you like. Here I have IE, Chrome, Seamonkey since each have their strengths and there was nothing to learn as I went from one to another.

I find Windows Live to be a bit of trouble as MSFT makes changes and it can fail, then work the next day fine. Because of that, I don't use that product line.

Try Google's Chrome since it can play Youtube without you installing addons.
Bob

Collapse -
It's usually easy
by ksteil / August 11, 2012 10:21 AM PDT

Bob,
I do have Google Chrome installed and will use it again.
After I ran checkdisk a few weeks ago, Google Chrome was somehow replaced with IE.

As always, thanks for your help Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.