Windows Vista forum

General discussion

IE 9 and opening a new blank tab

When you click to open a new blank tab, there's a list of all the sites you've visited called "your most popular sites". You have the option to show or hide sites. If you elect to hide sites, all someone has to do is click show sites and there is everyplace you've visited. Where can I turn this OFF to NOT keep track of sites I've visited when opening a new blank tab.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE 9 and opening a new blank tab
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE 9 and opening a new blank tab
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is that right?

In reply to: IE 9 and opening a new blank tab

Hi Walt. Are you sure about that? I've just downloaded and installed IE9 myself and I saw the 'next tab' thing, but as I understand it, it only displays the currently opened tabs, and not any historical sites.

Ahh, I begin to see what you mean. I've just had a look. I opened IE9 and it displayed my Home Page. I then deliberately opened two other sites in new tabs. I then opened a blank new tab and it listed my 3 sites + Bing, and the IE walkthrough that I saw when I first used it. Those last two were not open when I opened the new tab.

I then hovered over Bing and the IE Walkthrough tabs on display and closed them down, (top right x). I then closed down IE and re-opened it, and opened a new tab, and both Bing and the IE walkthrough were not displayed.

I agree with you, a strange system. I think you're going to have to experiment with it. It might be that In-Private browsing is what you need from Internet Options. Or there may be some other settings there that stops this.

Mark

Collapse -
Blank tab site tracking...

In reply to: Is that right?

With IE 8, a blank tab was simply a blank tab. There was no site tracking to be displayed. I've been looking through IE 9 a little but there must be a way to turn this off completely.

Collapse -
I too

In reply to: Is that right?

want to turn this off. I closed down the IE 9 walkthrough at the getgo, but I still get the recent sites showing. I want to turn this off.

HOW???

Collapse -
Open Internet Options

In reply to: I too

Go to tabs, then open settings. Scroll down to "When a new tab is opened" and in the drop down menu, check Blank page. Solves the problem.

Collapse -
Thank you for the information Walking Dude!!!

In reply to: Open Internet Options

I knew I had seen the option listed somewhere, thank you for the path to accessing those features again!
Again much thanks for your time and informed reply.

Collapse -
Thank You Walking Dude!!!

In reply to: IE 9 and opening a new blank tab

See Walking Dudes solution listed here... Excellent response to your issue.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.