Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

IE 8 problem with Page, Satety, Tools, Help.

by islandporgy / September 6, 2009 11:27 AM PDT

Issue with page, tools, Safety, Help and all links on that side.
every time I try to use those items the Browser closes.
I tried to reinstall IE8 know such luck. For instance (page) I see send link, I click on it and the browser closes.
could it be a settings some where.
On my other computer IE8 works Great.
Running
1) XP home
2) Zone-Alarm pro
3) Trojan Remover
4) CCleaner
5) Ad-Aware SE old version
6)AVG Free
7) Windows Deffender
Cool Hi Jack
X) All the above is up to date. Except Ad-Aware SE

Can some body help me please.

Wendell H

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE 8 problem with Page, Satety, Tools, Help.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE 8 problem with Page, Satety, Tools, Help.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I see.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 6, 2009 9:06 PM PDT

ZoneAlarm Pro, AVG, and Windows Defender.

ZA Pro has an anti-virus option. Since you have AVG free, you already have anti-virus. You don't need two.

ZA Pro also has an anti-spyware option, Windows Defender is anti-spyware and you do not need both running continuously in the background. If they are, turn one off, preferably the ZA Pro one. I can't remember if AVG free also has an anti-spyware component. If it does, the same applies. Only one anti-spyware running in the background, use the others as backup scanners/checks.

Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE old version. I would stop using Ad-Aware now.

What is Hi Jack?

I would think that some IE 8 Add-on is causing your problem. You can check this by running IE8 without any add-ons running;

* Go to Start > Run
* Type iexplore -extoff (that space between iexplore and -extoff is important).
* Press Enter

If that opens IE8 OK and if you are then able to open Tools, Help, Safety, etc, that shows that an add-on is the problem.

Your task then, (should you choose to accept it), is to find which add-on is causing the problem, Happy

Tools > Manage Add-ons might help there. Disable all add-ons, restart IE, test, add one back in, restart, test, and so one.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
HiJack This
by islandporgy / September 7, 2009 1:27 AM PDT
In reply to: What I see.

I was told by one of the Cnet moderators that I was to look and get rid off the BHOs that was Hijacking my Browser. I have been using HiJackthis for some time.(but using IE6)
I will try what you suggested and see if that works.
If Anti Spyware in Zone Alarm Pro has to be disabled that is a big chunk out off Zone Alarm Pro.

http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html?tag=mncol

Thank You Very Much:

Wendell H

Collapse -
I got it
by islandporgy / September 7, 2009 3:10 PM PDT
In reply to: What I see.

I disabled Anti Spyware in Zone-Alarm and uninstalled Windows Defender. I reinstalled IE8 and so far every thing is OK.

Thank You Every Body for your assistance.

Wendell H

Collapse -
Glad you got it sorted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 7, 2009 6:57 PM PDT
In reply to: I got it

Good to see you managed to fix it yourself. Good work.

I would consider re-enabling ZoneAlarm's anti-spyware, or get yourself some other anti-spyware utility to keep checking in the background if you can.

Mark

Collapse -
The command, page, safety tools dont work!
by shreemaya / September 7, 2009 1:10 PM PDT

First go to Start-> Run -> type " inetcpl.cpl"
Then Go to Advanced Tab and then click on reset button
This would reset the browser settings
Then open the browser and then try clicking on those commands like page, safety . tools.
This should fix the problem

Alternatively , you can try to go to
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9657448
Reregister the internet files.
Then restart the system
This should fix the problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?