Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

IE 8 - lost toolbar

by JaneDoe61 / October 21, 2009 1:21 PM PDT

I have the back/forward button, the refresh and stop button, no File, Edit, etc..so I can't go to internet options .. when I try to right-click I get nothing - no menu. Then I get a box w/this error mssg:

I can't even copy and paste it, and it's long, but here goes:

EventType: BEXP1: iexplore.exe P2: 8.0.6601.18702 P3: 49b3ad2e: P4
unknown P5: 0.0.0.0. P6: 000000000 P7 : ffffef9c P8: 000000008

Then window says it's protectingme from whatever, and it closes.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE 8 - lost toolbar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE 8 - lost toolbar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: IE 8 - lost toolbar
by Tufenuf / October 22, 2009 12:02 AM PDT
In reply to: IE 8 - lost toolbar

JaneDoe61, Right click the Toolbar (the bar that shows Facorites, Home Page icon, Read Mail icon, Print icon, etc.) and checkmark "Menu Bar".

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Browser
by JaneDoe61 / October 22, 2009 11:48 AM PDT

No menu when I right click across the top or anywhere. I tried to uninstall via add/remove in CP and got this error mssg:

setup cannot copy the file hmmapi.dll.mui

I ran a program called Advanced Uninstaller Pro and it cleaned and optimized the registry, and now I can surf w/out shutdown - no Dr. Watson error, but still no toolbar. I'm not a complete amateur, am determined not to pay somebody $100 for 15 minutes worth of work. I don't think it's that complicated, I just need some new ideas. If anyone can come up with anything new and different I'd be sincerely grateful. I feel like I've exhausted all the usual methods. I'm running XP Pro, version 5.1.2600, Service Pack 3.

Collapse -
It's ALL gone
by JaneDoe61 / October 22, 2009 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Browser

File, edit, view, history - everything is gone. I have no way to change options because I don't have a navigation menu. Just wanted to make that clear. When I right click nothing happens, not just when I try across the top, when the what is now an empty gray space is, but anywhere on the page. Just wanted to clear that up.

Collapse -
Re: It's ALL gone
by Tufenuf / October 22, 2009 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: It's ALL gone

JaneDoe61, For a starter can you access Internet Options in your Control Panel? Start>Control Panel>Internet Options. Check out the link below.

The menu bar and the toolbar are missing in Internet Explorer on Windows Vista or Windows XP or in Windows Explorer on Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962963

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Here's another possible fix
by Tufenuf / October 22, 2009 12:41 PM PDT
In reply to: It's ALL gone

JaneDoe61, If the solutions at the Microsoft link I posted don't solve the problem go to the link below, click on "Win XP Utilities" (left side), click on "Repair Missing Toolbars in Explorer/IE" then download the "XP_ToolbarFix.zip". Instructions for using it are on the page.

http://www.dougknox.com/

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Browser
by JaneDoe61 / October 22, 2009 10:36 PM PDT

I have a feeling I'm going to have to reformat. Anyway thank you for the info. I cannot go through control panel - have already tried. And I don't have a zip program but take it I can find a free one somewhere that I can use for 30 days. I'll check out your links, and thank you again.

Collapse -
Microsoft's site
by JaneDoe61 / October 22, 2009 10:41 PM PDT

I've already tried the Fix It program from Microsoft. Nothing happens. I'll check out the other site and see if I can find any useful info there.

Any other ideas are still appreciated.

Collapse -
Hmmm..
by JaneDoe61 / October 22, 2009 10:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Microsoft's site

Just went back to Add/Remove programs and Explorer is gone. Tried Internet Options to see what would happen and nothing did. Sounds to me like things are getting worse. Would a clean install/reformat be the thing to do at this point? TIA

Collapse -
Re: Browser
by Tufenuf / October 22, 2009 11:32 PM PDT

JaneDoe61, Windows XP has its own zip program. If you download that XP_ToolbarFix.zip program from the Dougknox site just right click it and choose Extract All, then double click the XP_ToolbarFix.exe file you extracted. Choose which toolbars to repair and click the Repair button. To uninstall, simply delete XP_ToolbarFix.exe.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
I got lucky
by JaneDoe61 / October 23, 2009 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Browser

Today my computer was worse than yesterday, so I found someone on Craigslist who came and reformatted my computer for $50. Everybody i spoke/wrote to that got the whole story suggested it, and it's working great. And yes, I backed everything up first. I so got lucky. In any case, thank you for the replies. Happy

Collapse -
Re: I got lucky
by Tufenuf / October 23, 2009 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: I got lucky

JaneDoe61, Glad to see that all is fixed and Thanks for posting back to let us know.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
I am still using IE7
by alexfires / October 29, 2009 4:31 PM PDT
In reply to: IE 8 - lost toolbar

I have try my best to adjust to IE8. At last, I uninstall it, install IE7. I like firefox,too.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.