Windows 7 forum

General discussion

IE 8.0 Window Size

by DerfX / March 20, 2011 8:37 PM PDT

I use Interent Explorer 8.0 on Windows 7-64bit and I most often, don't use the "full screen" format but just a regular looking size window so I can have other apps open beside it or partially behind it.

Occasionally, I need to refer to what is on another window to copy stuff to something in Explorer so I will "temporarily" resize my Explorer window down a bit. But after that, it seems like it takes forever for Explorer to reopen to my default window size. It keeps openning to the smaller window frame which is very iritating. What is the quickest way to teach Explorer to maintain a default window size?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE 8.0 Window Size
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE 8.0 Window Size
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Interesting.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 20, 2011 8:58 PM PDT
In reply to: IE 8.0 Window Size

What you describe is what Windows is supposed to do, but often users complain it doesn't, Happy

Windows should remember the last size that application windows were resized to, but it seems the coding is a bit flaky there. We often see users who maximise a window, but the next time they open it, often after a reboot, it opens smaller than maximised. We then go through hoops and loops to get it to stick.

I don't see any easy way for you to achieve what you want. There is no readily available setting or option to change, and the only method I can suggest is to minimise the window you want to temporarily lose focus on, work on the other one, then retrieve that first window from the Taskbar.

Or perhaps the easier way is to always use the Taskbar to call into focus the window you need.

But I suspect neither is satisfactory for you because we all have our own preferred ways of using Windows. So, not much help from me I fear.

Mark

Collapse -
Eh, not so bad...
by DerfX / March 21, 2011 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting.

When I shrink the Explorer window a bit to copy something from a window behind it, I immediately stretch the Explorer window back to my prefered size. But even then, the next time I go to use Explorer, it gives me that "shrunken" size. I thought it should open to the size it was when I closed Explorer which would always be my prefered size.

To make it easier to understand, I should site the thing I'm actually doing. It's when I'm shopping online and I'm in the checkout phase. I am unable to do the "copy/paste" thing off of my little window that has my "virtual Credit card number". I guess they do that for security reasons. Anyway, I have to shrink the Explorer window with the "checkout" text box that wants my CC# and I need to type it in # by #. But then, I stretch out the Explorer window before I do anything else.

Still, Explorer remembers that shrunken size instead of the "last" size.

Collapse -
Ahh yes, I had the same.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 21, 2011 10:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Eh, not so bad...

I used to do exactly the same with my Password software. I solved mine. I got a 2nd monitor! Happy

Not everyone's solution though.

An option for you to try.

When you expand the Explorer window back to the size you want, minimise it immediately, then call it back from the Taskbar. If you close Explorer down now, then re-open it, does it open to the size you want?

Mark

Collapse -
Used to work on Windows XP
by Daviddude / March 22, 2011 10:30 AM PDT

I had the same problem with IE 6 & 7 on Windows XP. Then (I haven't tried it with Windows 7 & IE 8 or 9) but there was a difference in the way you closed the window when you were done with it. If I did the File, Exit to close the window, that would make Windows XP remember the window size for the next time I opened the window. If I used the red X button in the upper right hand corner to close the window, Windows XP would NOT remember the window size.
Maybe the same holds true in Windows 7??

Collapse -
Thank you both Mark and David
by DerfX / March 22, 2011 7:43 PM PDT

That gives me something to try.

I love this forum

Collapse -
You're welcome
by Daviddude / March 23, 2011 12:11 AM PDT

I hope these suggestions help you out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.