Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

IE 7 will not open

by RuRaf49 / October 19, 2006 12:36 AM PDT

I have windows XP and everything was fine untill I upgraded to IE 7. Now when I try to use it, I get a runtime error and cannot open IE at all. Can I uninstall this and go back to version 6 where I had no problems? Or, is there a fix for this. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE 7 will not open
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE 7 will not open
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IE 7 not opening
by wwhagadorn / October 19, 2006 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: IE 7 will not open

I had the same trouble. I was able to remove IE7 7 with no problems and everything worked fine.

Collapse -
Can't figure why others have a problem with IE7 SP2 [WINXP]
by DarCLew2 / October 19, 2006 4:26 AM PDT

I had it in at 8:00 am East Coast Time and it took about 54 minutes on a 56K dialup Modem to D/L & install. I had to shut off my ISP and reboot to install
Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
Which IE7?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 19, 2006 6:03 AM PDT

Is this the pre-release tester version IE RC1, or the full version IE7 released today?

Have you installed Service Pack 2, (SP2), on your computer?

IE7 is only available for XP users who have SP2 installed. This post gives more information;

You can uninstall IE7 by going to Add/Remove programs in the Control panel, and you will get IE6 back.

Collapse -
fixed it
by RuRaf49 / October 19, 2006 9:33 AM PDT

Thanks all for helping. I uninstalled IE 7 and all is fine.

Collapse -
Saved websites on desktop won't open
by HSokPhilly / November 10, 2006 7:07 AM PST

Dell DM051
Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
2048 Megabytes Installed Memory

After downloading and installing IE7 none of the saved websites I have on my desktop (banking, lottery, etc) will open. The only one that opens is the Internet Explorer icon. When I click on any other icon, the browser frame opens, but it never fills or makes the connection, even though the first page tab says "Connecting". I uninstalled IE7, and everything works with IE6. After installing a 2nd time, the same thing happens...can't open any saved web pages on my desktop. I typed a couple websites into the address bar, and had no problem opening the page. I saved new bookmarks onto my desktop, but again can't open them. Even after coming back 30 minutes later, it still says "Connecting" on the first page tab. So it looks like it's back to IE6 for a couple or six more months, unless anyone out there has a suggestion, or a fix.

Collapse -
a solution to ur problem
by ebeken / November 10, 2006 7:45 AM PST

i had the same problem in my AMD Athlon x2 5200+ with 4gb ram so i bought a intel pentium 1 with 133mhz cpu and a 32mb ram and it runs IE7 with no problems at all and runs tom clancys ghost recon on my 2mb graphics card unlike the AMD which crashes all the time even when opening notepad. so buy a pentium 1 and IE7 will work.

Collapse -
IE 7 Will Not Open
by 11HBeagley / July 11, 2007 5:10 AM PDT

I upgraded to IE 7 From IE 6 Because Windows Update Would Not Run In IE 6 And Mush To My Displeasement Windows Update Will Not Run In Mozilla Firefox!!
So I Installed It Tried To Open It And It Just Flashes Up For About A Second And Then Closes And I Don't Know Why It Is Doing It So I Will Uninstall IE 7 And Reinstall IE 6 Until I Find Out What's The Problem With IE 7.

Somebody Please Help Me!!

Thank-You For Your Feed Back If You Have Any To Do With This Problem.

Collapse -
by richardelectric / August 13, 2007 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: IE 7 Will Not Open

If you go to, type in internet explorer tab and install this add on you can then google Windows Update and it will open in a ie window

Collapse -
any luck with the fix
by wwiii / June 24, 2008 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: IE 7 Will Not Open

did you ever find an answer to this problem?

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?