Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

IE 7 problems

My new computer (windows XP Pro SP2) came with IE7 installed. I'm so used to IE6 that the new version seems like a step in the wrong direction (to say the least). Few quick questions:

1) is there any way to get rid of IE7 and go back to IE6?

2) Failing that, is there any way to make IE7 behave like IE6? Specifically, they've messed with the tabs, making it much more difficult to work with them:

2a) it used to be that, once you got to the page you wanted, you just clicked and dragged that URL to the tabs line and the tab stayed there when you reopened IE the next time. Now, the tabs disappear. Can this be fixed?

Thanks, folks. Taz

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE 7 problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE 7 problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tasuki

In reply to: IE 7 problems

Maybe unistall IE 7 in add/remove

Install IE6 LINK

This LINK might help.In this link click on "Uninstalling IE7"

You could leave it for updates and install FIREFOX
Tom

Collapse -
You can make IE7 behave like IE6

In reply to: IE 7 problems

Go To: http://enhanceie.com/ie/tweaks.asp
This will change some of the look and feel to behave like IE6

You can turn tabs off in the tools->internet options

"2a) it used to be that, once you got to the page you wanted, you just clicked and dragged that URL to the tabs line and the tab stayed there when you reopened IE the next time. Now, the tabs disappear. Can this be fixed?"

I have no idea what you are taking about. IE didn't have tabs before.

Collapse -
tabs in IE6

In reply to: You can make IE7 behave like IE6

Tyrax, wish I could post a picture here. I'm using IE6 (6.0.2800.1106) and I've got all my usual web locations in a bar up top that sure looks like tabs. It just says "links" on the left side of the line where these tabs are located. What's the difference between links and tabs? They look the same, at least to me, and they certainly seem to function the same (except for the fact that the ones in IE7 aren't as flexible, as noted above).

Collapse -
The difference...

In reply to: tabs in IE6

The Links toolbar in IE6 simply displayed some of your favorites across the top. Each one was a shortcut to a website, and clicking on it would load it in the current window. If you wanted to return to the website you were looking at before clicking that link you would have to use the Back button.

Tabbed browsing is an entirely different concept. In short, it is like having multiple windows open in a single window. That is, each tab has its own webpage loaded in it, and you can switch back and forth between them. This saves memory and reduces the clutter on the task bar when compared to having multiple windows open at once. They are not linked to your bookmarks/links in any way.

Now, in IE7 you can still display the Links toolbar; it's just not displayed by default. To do this, go Tools->Toolbars->Links to place a checkmark next to it and display the toolbar.

To illustrate this, click here. Note that:
1.) Tabbing is only available in IE7 unless you use a third-party plugin to add tabbing.
2.) IE7 on your computer will look a little different than what you're seeing because my screenshot is from Windows Vista, but the functionality and layout remains the same.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
no difference that I can see between tabs and links

In reply to: The difference...

Well, I finally found the links bar (thanks, John), so now I have a links bar and a tabs bar. I put www.stockcharts.com on the links bar and it comes up on the tabs bar too. When I click on the links bar icon for stockcharts, I get the website for stockcharts. When I click on the tab bar for stockcharts I get the website for stockcharts. No difference. Why are you guys saying it's an "entirely different concept"? When I click on either a tab or a link, the exact same webpage comes up. No difference at all. Is this an "emperor's new clothes" joke? The only thing the tabs bar does is waste space. Can I turn off the tabs bar?

Collapse -
yes..

In reply to: no difference that I can see between tabs and links

Yes, you can turn tabs off.. go to Tools -> Internet Options and on the General Tab, near the bottom you will see a section called TABS, with a Settings button: you can turn it off there.

I still think you are confused about tabbed browsing.. the main advantage is that you can view several pages in ONE browser window.. each under a different tab.. as opposed to opening a separate window for each page.

The links bar gives you fast access to your favourites. They are immediately visible there.. no need to open the favourites pull down menu and make a selection. It is a good place to put your most common and frequently accessed links.

With tabbed browsing, you just open a new tab instead of a new window. (click on that little empty tab to the right of the current tab to open a new tab.) The links bar remains the same.. but now you can open several links from there, and toggle between tabs in ONE browser window, instead of have multiple browser windows open on your desktop.

Collapse -
more info..

John is right.. what you thought was tabs in ie6 is really LINKS, and as he said, you can turn them on. Furthermore, you can readjust your toolbars and menus anyway you like. Take a look at how I have mine set up: http://www.ve3oo.com/images/IE7-Links.jpg

One thing to be aware of is that the LINKS toolbar is really a folder in your favourites. So, if you save a favourite and you want it to be displayed in the LINKS bar, you save it to the LINKS folder in Favourites. That being said, it may or may not show on the LINKS bar, depending on how many urls are actually in the LINKS folder. The LINKS bar will only show as many as will fit. Sooo... see the double chevron at the end of the LINKS bar? Click it and you will get a drop down list of all the other urls in the LINKS folder. Just click and drag whatever links you want up to the LINKS bar.

Another tip: rename the names of the links in the LINKS bar to short names, so that you can fit more up there. Also, don't forget you can drag this LINKS bar anywhere, including on a line by itself. In my case, I don't like using too many tool bars (takes up too much valuable browser realestate), so I tagged it onto the end of the FILE VIEW.. toolbar.

At first I didn't like the new IE7 either, but it grows on you. Don't forget, you can right-click on any url link, and optionally choose to open that link in a new window or new tab. One thing I really like in IE7 is the ability to magnify the page.. see that 100% button in the lower right corner? click on it a few times. Great for those pages where the type is too tiny to read.

Also new in ie7 is the ability to scale down a wide page so that it prints completely when printed. That is a big fix!

Hope this helps.

Paul

Collapse -
I still IE6 but FireFox 2 and tabs

The posts, so far, have very good advice as best I can tell. I have not yet tried IE7 and as such will now give what I feel is not so good advice. I do volunteer IT work for an non-profit organization that uses older Win98se computers that can't run IE7. I maintain IE6 from a CD that I purchased from Microsoft. You could do this too and then remove IE7 and then install IE6. Because your computer came with IE7, you may find this does not work, that is why it is bad advice. If you want to try it, make sure you backup the computer and your files and as a fall back also download FireFox 2 FIRST. Then give it a try.

I don't recommend the above because it probably won't work, well, at least not smoothly. I use FireFox 2 because it's backwards compatible with Win98se. I'm still trying it out, but it has tabs and I have had problems making the adjustment to them. I have lost posts by turning off the tab by mistake. After using the tabs for 2 weeks now, I find them to be an aide now that I have gotten adjusted to them. One of many reasons I have not switched over from IE6 to IE7 is I work with some older HP printers that have software which is problematic with IE7.

It's your call as to what you do. Good luck and relax you may find the tabs are a good thing once you adjust to them.

Collapse -
One tip...

In reply to: I still IE6 but FireFox 2 and tabs

Firefox 2.0 introduced the ability to reopen a tab you accidentally closed, restoring the history and even the data you typed into forms on the page. To use this feature, right-click any tab or anywhere on the tab toolbar and select "Undo close tab." I find that feature quite useful at least a few times a week. Happy

John

Collapse -
(NT) THX for the very useful tip

In reply to: One tip...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.