General discussion

IE 7 coming

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: IE 7 coming
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: IE 7 coming
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Yes :-)
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) But only for XP SP2 (and up?) owners.
- Collapse -
Yes

PressPass: What's next for Internet Explorer?

Nash: We're very excited to announce at the RSA Conference today that this summer we'll release a beta of Internet Explorer 7.0 for Windows XP with Service Pack 2, which will have even more enhancements to security and privacy protections. These enhancements align very closely with the three core tenets of Microsoft's security approach that I mentioned earlier. Internet Explorer 7.0 will be the most secure browser we've ever released, building on and surpassing the success of the SP2-enhanced Internet Explorer 6.0. We don't plan to ship it until it meets our quality bar, which we've set pretty high.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2005/feb05/02-15Updates.asp

- Collapse -
thanks for the laugh Donna
Internet Explorer 7.0 will be the most secure browser we've ever released, building on and surpassing the success of the SP2-enhanced Internet Explorer 6.0. We don't plan to ship it until it meets our quality bar, which we've set pretty high

so.....if IE had a "few" problems, and they fix "some" of them.... will it still look like a piece of cheese?

and how do they plan to get back all the firefox/opera/mozilla users who are more than happy today...

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) :D
- Collapse -
We Won't Go Back

>>and how do they plan to get back all the firefox/opera/mozilla users who are more than happy today...<<

They won't! That's what is so silly. So many of us went though heck with hijacked browsers and days of getting the crud off, who wants to go back to IE????

- Collapse -
creative advertising

a somewhat less cheese like browser?

- Collapse -
a question

I wonder if M$ stole from Mozilla? And the part about security, I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair!

- Collapse -
It will be great if every OS can have the new improvements
- Collapse -
Just because It is old

In my line of work (system builder) I have more people coming to me to remove XP and install either NT, 98se, or 2000. The real reason M$ is making Exploder7 only for XP is to pad their bank account more because WinXPensive is not selling any more. The only time they make money on XP now is when someone buys a new computer. Just because a version of Windows is not supported any more dose not mean it still can not be made secure. Their are a lot of good freeware and open source programs and few well known ones that still support the older versions.

Suzy

- Collapse -
Where's the product recall?

Donna >>building on and surpassing the success of the SP2-enhanced Internet Explorer 6.0. We don't plan to ship it until it meets our quality bar, which we've set pretty high.

Based on the success of IE 6 sp2 our IT department banned any further use of IE internal to the company. Switching to Firefox and the like. From day 1 Win XP was known as eXtremely Pourous and IE just another tool to blow more holes in Windows.

I couldn't begin to count the thousands of person-hours it has taken to apply patch after patch after patch. The Total Cost of Ownership (TCOO) on Microsoft products has blown the budget away. Would like to see Micro$oft be more liable for the shoddy products produced and pony up the cash for fixes.

When the auto industry puts out a product with as many fatal flaws as Win XP and IE, they recall the product and fix it for the costomer. If it continues to fail for similar reasons, the customer is compensated and the product is trashed (lemon laws). I don't think Micro$oft could make lemonade fast enough to handle the returns.

- Collapse -
I posted a similiar article in the news thread a
- Collapse -
My oversight

My apologies, Roddy. But what is really confusing is that after seeing this , I went back to virus & security alerts forum and looked for your post, wondering how I missed it. I looked for your posts on 2-15-2004 and I still couldn't find it. Whatever, I'm sure it's there and I am just getting too old.

- Collapse -
There is no need to apologize Auggie LOL

I was just pointing everyone that had missed it the first time it was posted because the title was different and it was a different article but similiar subject. It was a different source and the title was different. The title on the one in the news thread on the 15th was "Reversal: Next IE update divorced from Windows". Actually your posting an article about it was a good thing. Happy

- Collapse -
ie7

i hope they do come up with a new ie7 i think it will be nice long as it dont have problems.

- Collapse -
what about the speed

Microsoft may be coming out with better protection with spyware in their new browser, but what about the browsing speed. Firefox is faster. I have dial-up (i turned off the web-accelerator), when i use IE its really slow. Firefox's speed is almost like the "web accelerator"

-Peter

- Collapse -
Cable

Peter, I'm on cable with IE and my response is very fast.

- Collapse -
yes, but

not everyone can afford cable or dsl. Untill it becomes cheaper, im gonna stick with my dial-up. Firefox is just all around faster.

- Collapse -
Agree

Zim, we are in total agreement. People need to use whichever browser they like. In my case, IE and cable work great. If Firefox is faster using dialup, then that's the one to use. I'm not crazy about the cost of cable; but I am too impatient when downloading so I pay the price.

- Collapse -
Same here Zimz.

I get almost instant response using Firefox and/or Opera, on dialup, and the slowness for downloading does not bother me. Why waste my retirement money, when I can use the savings to help buy other computer stuff. Happy

- Collapse -
IE 7 v Mozilla 1

While I've always given credit to Microsoft for establishing some form of easy browsing in the past, I have switched to Mozilla about a year ago. No more funky "errors", gone are the days when I had to update practically every week and hijacking of the browser has never happened.
I am not a technical user,just a regular Joe, but the results speak for themselves. I don't believe MS can do anything more to get rid of problems, since most hackers seem to take pleasure in developing new strategies to ruin our browsing experience.
Only one minor problem: When using Windows Media Player, some sites won't show the file insisting that I should have IE 5, 8 or whatever (MSN is one of them).
Since this does not bother me, I just don't play the file.
Stay in good health!

- Collapse -
Pretty Funny

I read that yesterday and found it rather amusing. Holes in IE, all kinds of problems and it's not until tons of people are dumping IE for Firefox or Netscape (or both) does dear mr. gates get off his backside and realize, "my, we have problems with Explorer"! Nooo! I have XP, so I'll download it, but I still won't use it. Hijacked and my computer a disaster for a week? No thanks. I'm happy with Netscape and Firefox.

- Collapse -
Once bitten

I am sticking with FireFox!!! It romps all over IE and I'm not about to flip flop back to IE because M$ have finally responded to all the demands for improvements purely because they might lose market share.

Firefox launched with all the improvements in situ and is not even close to being BLOATware like IE. With support I'd say Firefox will continue to outstrip IE in performance in the future!!

- Collapse -
Oh Geez!

I have used IE 6 SP2 today and it crashed! Why would it be better??!! Use FireFox instead

CNET Forums

Forum Info