Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

IE 6 stopped working

Hello friends,

MY IE (updated till the most recent update) just stopped working. The IE just opens to a blank page or a standard error which does not give any idea how to settle the same.

Cannot run windows update too as it needs IE to execute the same.

Have a XP Home OS

Please assist and advice

JKList

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE 6 stopped working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE 6 stopped working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: IE 6 stopped working

In reply to: IE 6 stopped working

Try some of these remedies:
1. Manually download the latest IE Service Pack/Patch and install it.
2. Install another browser like Avant, Mozilla, or Firefox.

If these do not fix it then please reply with the error message it is giving you. It might not be the browser, it might be your internet connection in general.

Collapse -
more to Rabbies suggestion

I agree with what Rabbies said - it maybe that u have connection problems in general - but if i can suggest one thing u can try first (other than doing a "repair" install of IE):- if you use "Outlook express" or any other email program that downloads your messages from your web server and you cannot download these either then do as Rabies suggests - that is to eliminate if it is IExplorer that is causing the problem by using another browser.
Peter

Collapse -

PART I

1. In order for us to analyze a potential problem and offer tips, we must rely only on the question content to attempt a qualifying response. A question should state the exact system error(s) - spelled, spaced, and capitalized just as it is shown on the display. Helpful perhaps is the window title in the colored bar of the report and any information when provided by a "Details" section also.

2. Most error messages: 1) usually list and describe standard default error messages - written within the program code and generally recognized by most "Gurus", and 2) the troubleshooting techniques may be published and explained in the Microsoft Knowledge Base (MSKB) library for the Windows operating systems, and may be searched for with accurately reported information.

3. Correct and complete information is vital if informative help and answers are what you seek. You want that Guru who reads your plea to understand the question, to possibly know the answer, and to reply giving you their assistance.

PART II

Please read through this forum "thread" for a possible conclusion to your problem.
Collapse -

My initial guess was that it was a settings problem but after reading the material provided by all of you, I have my doubts. In any case this is my current setup. I access the internet through a cable connection which goes into a router from which I and another system share the same. In my IE Options/connections I have clicked the "use proxy server...." under lan settings. I do not have anything in the address and port boxes. Would this be the cause ?

The error I get is :

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: IE 6 stopped working

Do both systems sharing the same internet connection show the same error message, or is this just a problem with your own PC?

If the latter, your internet connection is working but not being activated by your own PC.

Assuming this is the case, the best way to diagnose and repair the problem is to follow these steps:

1. Left Click on START

2. Left Click on SETTINGS

3. Left Click on NETWORK CONNECTIONS

4. Read the info under the first icon, which should fall under the LAN OR HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNECTION heading.

5. If it reads "ENABLED", RIGHT CLICK the icon and then Left Click "REPAIR."

6. If it reads "DISABLED," RIGHT CLICK the icon and then Left Click "ENABLE."

7. Before closing out this screen RIGHT CLICK the icon and Left Click "STATUS." A pop up screen will tell you whether your PC is connected to the internet and whether that connection is operational.

Hope this helps.

If not, the other suggestions which direct you to download "fixes" will require another PC that is connected to the internet and a CD burner to allow you to access the download via your own PC's CD drive. (But you probably know that.)

Collapse -

Sorry but there does not seem to be any "SETTINGS" option after I left click start ?

Running XP Home OS

Please advice

JKLIST

Collapse -

First off, uncheck the proxy setting in IE...you shouldn't need it. If that doesn't fix it, you may want to run a system file check by opening a command window (type cmd in the run window), type sfc /scannow. Make sure you put your Windows XP cd in your drive first.

Collapse -

Tried the sfc /scannow but still the problem is not resolved.

I guess the problem must be my settings. I checked network connections from the control panel and my Internat connection is Disabled. When I try to enable the same, it stay disabled.

In the Internet connection properties, I don't have any services selected. Which should be the services I should be selecting.

I know this problems is difficult to solve remotely and would not mind if you suggested some link to articles which will help me resolve this problem.

Thanks in advance

Collapse -

I know this problems is difficult to solve remotely and would not mind if you suggested some link to articles which will help me resolve this problem.

Step back to the "thread."

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.