General discussion

IE 6 Smart Tags

I have recently been getting more and more irritated at these damn smart tag hyperlinks that appear in various web pages. It is not a problem when using an older machine with IE5.5, but a newer machine running XP came with IE6 pre-installed and another older machine, during a moment of inattention with a Windoze Update, automagically upgraded itself from 5.5 to 6 because M$ categorized it as a "critical" update (different rant - what exactly is so critical for us, the end users, that we must upgrade to 6. We know that it is critical to M$'s own self-promotion to push 6 down our throats, but why do we need it?). Back on topic... Wink I see from the MSKB that website programmers can include a metatag command in their HTML code that will stop the M$ smart tags from inserting unauthorized links, but that requires the website operator to do something to specifically prevent it. Is there any setting I can make to my browser (other than setting my browser to be something other than IE6...) to terminate this behavior?

TIA
dw

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: IE 6 Smart Tags
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: IE 6 Smart Tags
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Bob.. It's still there big as life, despite 2 years of

death. Yes, the operation of the smart tags can be nullified by the web page author by including a metatag in the page code. But that is from the author's perspective. What I am asking is if there is anything I, as the reader, can do to stop the M$ rendering engine in IE6 from rendering stuff that isn't in the author's page when the author has not, for whatever reason, included the proper metatag command in his/her page? In your comment, you said 'it's not on by default.' What is not on, or rather, where is the default 'off' controlled from, as mine seems to have been bumped to 'on.' (BTW, these forums are clean, thanks to whoever coded them; the issue occurs elsewhere and I am trying get through those pages without the constant distraction of the little URL boxes showing hyperlinks to odd places.)

Thanks,
dw

- Collapse -
Re:Bob.. It's still there big as life, despite 2 years of

I have a brand new XP BOX with IE 6 and no smart tags.

You must have turned it on. Microsoft has the off switch, so use it.

The issue flared years ago and is dead. You have to turn it back off if you turned it on. Nobody is embedded that code in their web pages since smart tags is not enabled unless people turn it on.

It is possible that you installed OfficeXP and left it enabled there, but you didn't note it.

Bob

- Collapse -
ok, where is

this 'off' switch? What menu is it under? That's what I am asking.

Thanks,
dw

- Collapse -
Re:ok, where is. Not in the browser...

"unfortunately, Office doesn't group all Smart Tag options in a single dialog box or provide you with a one-click way to disable them all; instead, you have hunt them down to eliminate them one by one. Here's how:"

http://www.zdnetindia.com/reviews/specials/officexp/stories/24580.html

For Internet Explorer, I think I deleted the smart-tag DLL files. It was two years ago, so my memory is foggy on that. But you didn't share if you installed OfficeXP so I'm only guessing you have it turned on there.

Bob

- Collapse -
Not in the browser... ah, that

may explain my frustration. Thanks for the link, I'll look at it. And I have not installed OfficeXP, still using Office2K (and it does everything I want, don't need XP or '03, thank you...), which is what makes it all the more frustrating. I have been trying religiously to apply all the critical updates to the operating systems (still running '98SE or ME on several of the family's machines as well as XP on my new laptop, plus 2K on my work computer...) as well as the Office patches - but that's a mixed blessing. The vulnerabilities are repaired, but the service packs always seem to reset defaults and automagically install additional modules/features (some of which I had previously uninstalled...).

Thanks again,
dw

- Collapse -
If that doesn't do it. Please..

Please ask in the Security Forum since you'll get more audience and people who love to dig out the parasites.

Bob

- Collapse -
NT - good idea, I'll check in over there too.

CNET Forums

Forum Info