Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

IE 6 locking up because of Java?

by kevin80302 / September 26, 2004 12:10 PM PDT

I am having problems when I goto websites that call up java. Internet Explorer locks up when java starts. I have java version 1.4.2_05 installed.

It happens most with pages from ESPN. I now have java disabled so this doesn't happen but then I have to enable it when I want to use a java appellet(sp).

What is causing this!!!!!

Thanks

Kevin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE 6 locking up because of Java?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE 6 locking up because of Java?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: IE 6 locking up because of Java?
by xcks / September 26, 2004 3:50 PM PDT

Desktop IE Right click IE>
Properties>
General> (heading)
click "settings" (tempory internet files)
click "view objects"
this opens the Downloaded Programs File
It has the Active X objects listed.
click once on 1 of them (does not matter which one)
then ... go to the FILE (thats located on the toolbar)
click "file" and in the drop down box select SHOW ALL FILES.
Then click on TOOLS (thats located on the toolbar as well) and in the drop down select "folder options"
clcik the "view" header
In the "hidden files and folders" choices select SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS
Apply - Ok

Damn that was alot of typing. lol
Now to the point, You will probally notice on your java version 1.4.2_05 (probally 2 or 3 of them listed) take a close look at the CREATION DATE
more than likely it has a year of 2068.

CORRUPTED! Sorry but thats as far as Im going to advise you in this matter. Just know java is corrupted, enabled or not, its got corrupted.
Needs to be removed? I believe so.
Needs replaced? I believe so.

Do I have the PROPER removal and replacement instructions? NO lol But I do know that without java the games work just fine. I deleted the 3 corrupt Active X objects and java works just fine?

Hope this helps in your diagonsis, good luck with getting a CORRECT reply to this question. I need to do whatever is recommended too.

CHOW!

Collapse -
by rrpc / October 7, 2004 11:15 PM PDT

I had a similar problem at a client , so what i did is: check if your video card needs a patch for your video driver, specially if you have nvidia.

Collapse -
by keithpup / October 8, 2004 12:57 AM PDT

Try this:
http:www.microsoft.com/java/SDK/32/pg/pg_vm_o.htm
download and reinstall, or you could look at Suns java package (since it is a better vm, MS purposely uses a weak version to try and "push" Active x and .net)
http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.