Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

IE 6.0 hangs

by gvosburgh / November 27, 2004 1:24 PM PST

When I try to access the windows update web page the IE hangs up.The only way to close the window is to go into task manager and end the task.
Other web pages work ok
MS KB wasn't very help full
Any ideas?
Greg

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE 6.0 hangs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE 6.0 hangs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: IE 6.0 hangs
by Papa Echo / November 27, 2004 8:59 PM PST
In reply to: IE 6.0 hangs

Did the web site load then hanged, or it did not even load ? Please give more details on what you did.

Collapse -
by gvosburgh / November 27, 2004 9:32 PM PST
In reply to: Re: IE 6.0 hangs

Nope.All I get is a white page and I only get one bar on the web page loading status bar on the bottom of the page.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 27, 2004 11:23 PM PST

See if this helps you at all. I know you said you tried MSKB but that site is so difficult to navigate that you might have missed this page. If your problem isn't in this page, click "next" on the bottom, there are more. There are also certain viruses and spyware that can cause this too so make sure you check for those. Hope this helps. The last part of the link isn't working so i think you are going to have to copy and paste it into your browser.

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID=1033&query="windows%20update"

Collapse -
Check through this forum
by Cursorcowboy / November 27, 2004 11:34 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: Check through this forum
by gvosburgh / November 28, 2004 4:16 AM PST

Thanks for the tons of info but those links didn't help because I think I have deeper problems.
When I click on the Automatic Updates tab I get an "run a DLL as an app" error message.
I sent the report but I didn't receive any fix for it.
The KB mentions to get a hotfix from MS.
Are there any better solutions than that?
BTW this all happened after I removed the Vundo virus.

Collapse -
Re: Check through this forum
by Papa Echo / November 28, 2004 9:12 AM PST
Won't do virus ? Maybe the damage has already been done and you need to find a cure.
Collapse -
''run a DLL as an app'' == not enough information.
by Cursorcowboy / November 30, 2004 5:11 AM PST

1. When seeing a "Run a DLL as an App" error, suspect first that the file RUNDLL32.EXE or second that one of the numerous entry (usually a Dynamic Link Library file) in the system registry which relies on execution by this file has been compromised. The most commonly trojaned or altered files and their valid checksums can be found in this "table" (search within this article using the error information above). Also note, that if you search for this file on your system and check the Properties/Version, you'll see that its "Description:" is "Run a DLL as an App".

Note: If nothing else, extract a new copy of this file by putting the Windows XP CD ROM disk in the CD ROM drive, click Start, Run, type expand ?:\i386\rundll32.ex_ (a single space here) c:\windows\rundll32.exe (where ? is the letter of your CD ROM Drive), and then press ENTER. Restart the computer.

Caveat: Open the system registry and verify that the value data for the following address is "%1" %* and nothing else. If you find anything but, the system has most likely been compromised:

HKCR\exefile\shell\open\command

2. When you open Task Manager in Windows XP, you may see Rundll32.exe entries (a valid system file which "HOSTS" a function of a DLL and normally does not appear in the tasks window itself -- it runs something else) in the Processes tab -- which should be suspect. Rundll32.exe error messages may occur at shutdown and the command may be "Rundll32.exe filename.dll", whereas Task Manager reports only the command name and not it's parameter. FYI, many trojaned/virus programs will rely on this file for execution.

3. Without having to use any third-party tools, use the recommended "What's the suspicious Rundll32.exe process?" to track down what is being executed to find out the module loaded by the process:

tasklist /m /fi "IMAGENAME eq rundll32.exe" >C:\rundll32.txt

4. Supplemental reading - "A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP (Q314056)."

5. Access this site and use this lengthy "Rundll32 Reference Guide" to see applicable file uses.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?