Mac Applications forum

General discussion

iDVD is driving me crazy

Does anyone know how to speed up encoding on iDVD, when I try to put my home movies on it takes about 5 hours. Now I am running a 1ghz G4 with 1gb of memory and 10.4 with a Lacie 16x DL DVD-+R drive on 16x disks. Is there a certain format that the movies should be in like .DV or.MP4 or .MOV......please help me, thanks much

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iDVD is driving me crazy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iDVD is driving me crazy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Frankly, everyone wish it was faster (on their machine)

In reply to: iDVD is driving me crazy

Apple has faster hardware and the best so far are those dual Xeons at http://www.apple.com/macpro/

That will drag the time down.

Bob

PS. On your machine? Try more ram and don't run anything you don't have to during the render.

Collapse -
DVD's just take a long time

DVD's just take a long time to burn, they aren't cds.

Most dvd drives aren't quite up to speed as CD-R drives. You may have a 24x CD-RW drive in your computer but nine times out of ten the best you will get for a DVD drive is 8x.

You also have to take into account all of the data that is being created. 4.7 Gb or more and it is not jsut audio data, this is visual data that has animated menus, process trees to link and so forth.

iDVD also will convert all of your video into mpeg4 format regardless of what its input is, so if you have videos in avi format for example, iDVD has to convert all of it, which adds to the creation time.

Collapse -
I agree with the others...

I have a G4 tower and experience the same time you describe so I don't use it much to do video anymore. My G5 flat panel iMac is much improved - but not as good as my son's CoreDuo flatpanel iMac... and I would expect a MacPro tower to scream through the rendering.

What I have found is that I press the burn button and go to sleep at night (full double layer discs can take some time as well. When I get up the next morning, it is done. But maybe you can't plan your schedule that way...

Just so you know, it is rendering the video frame-by-frame. Lots of crunching.

Collapse -
iDVD speed

All of the above is correct. You have already noticed that the speed of rendering is directly proportional to the speed of the processors and the amount of RAM. The actual burning of the DVD only takes 10 minutes or so.
The first time I turned an iMovie into a DVD, I thought that my machine had locked up. I finally decided that it had and rebooted it. Turns out it actually hadn't locked up, it was silently rendering each frame, one at a time. A process that took hours!
All my iDVD rendering is now done overnight or during the day when I'm at work.

As Bob noted, those Quad Xeons should just smoke through the rendering.

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.