Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Idendity Crisis

by 4harpers / October 29, 2005 2:50 PM PDT

Some how I have created too many identities in my C:\Docs & Settings folder.
One I created at 5:00 the path is C:\Documents and Settings\John Doe the other at 8:00 is C:\docs and settings\John Doe\2Does. This is for the same person with different subfolderes. They both have cookies, favorites, my docs, user data. One of them has application data and templates. the other, start menu and desktop. This could get confusing later on. I would like to merge these two folders as they are for the same person. There are three other identities but they are OK. What would be the best and safest way to combine these identies. Thank you for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Idendity Crisis
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Idendity Crisis
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Merl Priester / October 30, 2005 3:57 PM PST
In reply to: Idendity Crisis

If you create a new user, you cannot create one that already exists, and Windows would not put the user in another users folders such as you indicate.

I believe you copied your user folders into the subfolder.

To avoid deleting the wrong thing, make a new user account, and copy all your current info to it, and then delete the screwed up one.

This should clear up the mess.

Collapse -
Identity Crisis
by 4harpers / November 2, 2005 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: Background

Thank you for your response. I am not sure I am explaining this right. Let me show you.
I created the 1st account on this computer as:
John Doe. Created at 5:00Then 3more identies as User 1,User2,User3.
However when I open My Computer through explorer and open Documents and Settings this is what I see.
+All Users
+John Doe
+John Doe\2Does
When I click to open John Doe I get:
Local Settings
My Documents
User Data
When I click to open John Doe\2Does I get:
My Documents
Start Menu
User Data
As you can see different folders. I don't know what to copy into what. If I create a new Identity what would I copy into it. When I 1st sign on the screen only shows 4 identies:
John Doe
Thanks again for any and all help I can get.

Collapse -
Re too many accounts....
by Papa Echo / November 2, 2005 8:56 AM PST
In reply to: Identity Crisis

On this second post, you did not mention about creating the 2nd Doe account at 8.00...BTW how did you create the accounts ? Via The Control Panel>User accounts ? Via Documents and Settings ?

Collapse -
Just a thought
by Steven Haninger / November 2, 2005 10:01 AM PST
In reply to: Identity Crisis

Unless you used an application that created a document or other file that you want to keep while logged in as one of the users you created, you probably have nothing worth worrying about. You can remove that user though user profiles in the control panel and will have the option of removing the user data as well. If you created anything you want to keep, it will probably be in the My Documents folder of the user you were logged in as at that time. All of these folders are created for all users defined in Windows so they can customize things and, perhaps, configure them for some privacy. As long as nothing was done as that user, there is nothing in any of them to keep. If you wish, you can create a temporary folder of your choice and just cut or copy/paste any necessary files from each user's documents folder into the new one. Then, go back to Users and delete them with the option of removing all related data as well. This will clean up the extra folders. Now, Windows may still remember that user once existed and, if you recreate them, their main folder name will be different from the previous. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Identity Crisis
by 4harpers / November 2, 2005 2:47 PM PST
In reply to: Just a thought

Thank you for your time and advice.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?