PC Hardware forum

General discussion

IDE Woes

by kclark2001 / December 23, 2006 5:11 AM PST

I am a victim of sporadic system instability, ranging from blue screens, to desktop hangs to file system/Windows corruption. I'll fix one thing, and everything will be fine for weeks to months, and then some other problem arises.

I think it's something to do with the IDE bus, because sometimes an IDE device won't be detected during boot, or POST won't get beyond "Detecting IDE devices".

I've run diagnostics on memory and disk drives, replaced a disc drive (I try to run 2 Western digital 200 GB Caviar drives and a Seagate 200GB Barracuda) and upgraded BIOS on everything I could), just installed a new MoBo (Asus A8N5X), went to an ATX case with 3 fans, and just today I got a blue screen "a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited" when I tried to add the WD drive to a simplified Seagate/HP 840i DVD writer ide chain. I'm plunking down big $$ to get an Antec 550W powersupply today.
Has anyone ever heard of a defective IDE device ruining another IDE device?
Am I asking for trouble with 4 IDE devices in my box? - if so, will replacing one IDE drive with a SATA relieve the strain?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IDE Woes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IDE Woes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So you have the 450 or better Watt supply?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2006 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: IDE Woes

You never gave a good description of the machine but people who max out drives and such do have these issues.

Then again you could have the wrong IDE cable.

Bob

Collapse -
Some system specs:
by kclark2001 / December 23, 2006 5:37 AM PST

Currently I have a 420W power supply. Windows XP Pro, 2GB of Crucial memory. I've been swapping cables in and out. Some times it seems to fix the problems, but it never "stays fixed". My last hope is a new 550W ps.

Collapse -
420 should be fine, but then again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2006 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: Some system specs:

There's no description of the machine, the drives, drive age, details about the OS install etc...

I had this one owner that was a P2P user. They lost it all weekly for about a year until we figured that out.

Bob

Collapse -
More system specs
by kclark2001 / December 23, 2006 6:01 AM PST

It's definitely a mongrel machine, upgraded on a component by component basis as desired/required. The Western Digital WD2000JB drives are one year old, and two years old respectively. Today it's a fresh XP PRo install, with all Microsoft updates applied. AMD A64 X2 4400+ processor and a eVGA GeForce 6200 video card.

Weekly, huh? I guess I should consider myself lucky..

Collapse -
That's helpful. Now tell me ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2006 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: More system specs

About motherboard drivers. Version please.

Collapse -
Mobo driver versions TBD
by kclark2001 / December 23, 2006 6:25 AM PST

The computer in question is in detention in my closet until the new power supply arrives, I'll have to get back to you on that. Thanks for your help thus far, though.

Collapse -
Resolved by new PS - temporarily?
by kclark2001 / December 27, 2006 6:36 AM PST

Thanks for your help thus far, Bob. But since I swapped in the new power supply, things have been running as smooth as a gravy sandwich.

But, if it follows the pattern, things will go belly up in a month or two... The good news is, I can't think of anything else to replace!

Thanks again for your prompt responses!

Collapse -
Power is one of those recurring themes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2006 7:30 AM PST

As power supplies age they can't deliver as many Watts. So when I replace a supply I add more Watts.

I almost bet you'll be fine for awhile.

Bob

Collapse -
PS wattage declines with age?
by kclark2001 / December 27, 2006 9:49 AM PST

Sobering information. Still, I hope my new 520W unit will be error-free for its 6-year warranty period.

Further reason to hold off on getting that USB coffee cup warmer I read about..

Thanks.

Collapse -
You'll be OK....assuming you bought a decent PSU
by VAPCMD / December 27, 2006 7:56 AM PST

Too large a load on the PSU often creates a variety of symptoms ...erratic drives, spontaneous reboots, etc,. etc., Shame you didn't ask earlier before you replaced all the other stuff.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?