Computer Help forum

General discussion

ide to sata problems

by gman_64 / July 7, 2007 2:37 PM PDT

I bought a barebones computer and want to move my old IDE hard drive to the new computer. The new computer is SATA compatible. Everytime I tried to boot, got an error message about windows not starting properly and giving me choices on how to start, i.e. normal, fsafe, etc....does this everytime.
SOOOOOOO, I got a new hard drive and a copy of NORTON GHOST and copied the contents of the old hard drive to the new hard drive. The new hard drive is a SATA connection. When I hook it up, same message and it shows it as the 3rd master hard drive. Do I need to load the SATA drivers as I have read on several forums(using f6) or is there something else going on?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ide to sata problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ide to sata problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this Windows moving from one machine to the next?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2007 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: ide to sata problems

If so it should never boot. Not only did you change the machine but Windows doesn't have the SATA support installed. Here's what I'd do next.

-> Armed with my XP SP2 CD (nothing less will work it seems) I get my SATA drivers on the diskette ready and I perform the XP REPAIR INSTALL (see google) but I tap that F6 key during install and feed XP that all important diskette. I rarely lose much this way and it beats a full install.

Bob

Collapse -
windows moving
by gman_64 / July 7, 2007 11:29 PM PDT

yeah its moving....I have a portable usb disk drive that I can load the drivers from so I will try that.....

Collapse -
Does that work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2007 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: windows moving

I haven't seen many fix it with an USB HARD DISK. I've repaired too many armed with the XP SP2 CD and ... a diskette.

Bob

Collapse -
not a hrad disk
by gman_64 / July 8, 2007 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Does that work?

its a usb floppy drive...my current version of windows has sp2 on it already...so why arent the drivers there?

Collapse -
Because Microsoft doesn't have them.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2007 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: not a hrad disk

The SATA on XP is a known issue. I decline from duplicating easy to find web content and will skip to the solution I use.

Bob

Collapse -
heres the problem SATA Drivers
by gman_64 / July 8, 2007 2:12 AM PDT

I cant even get to the point where holding down the f6 key makes a difference. I get the message widnows failed to start, etc....

Collapse -
Let's cover those basics one more time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2007 2:22 AM PDT

1. We have the XP SP2 CD (nothing else seems to work!)

2. We boot from the CD and will be doing the F6, let it get the drivers from floppy (some don't take my advice on this?)

3. We proceed with a repair install (I didn't write how, but note it's widely documented.)

Which step did you fail?

Bob

Collapse -
still no luck
by gman_64 / July 8, 2007 1:01 PM PDT

I dont have a cd drive in the new computer...barebones remember. so, I found the sata/raid drives via a google search...I used a xp disc, not sp2, and was able to load them onto my old hard drive using the f6 prompt. I ran chkdsk/f to make sure there were no disc errors and everything seemed fine....I ghosted, again, my old hard drive to the new hard drive.....I have tried both hard drives in the new machine...same thing,....windows wont load...I'm thinking of loading my windows 98 disc onto the new drive...then upgrading with my xp disc

Collapse -
"I dont have a cd drive in the new computer." = dead.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2007 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: still no luck

Sorry but you won't be able to fix this one.

Good luck,

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!