Computer Help forum

General discussion

IDE to SATA

Probably been asked a million times but I am too lazy to look around old post and threads.

I have a new HPa6742 or something like that. I am pretty tech savvy. The mobo has several SATA connection and a connector for a floppy drive which i installed on a friday night just cuz I was bored.

Now I want to add my old HDD from my old DEll desktop. The old HDD is a 60GB IDE connector. The MOBO has no place for me to add such a drive. Currently I have the drive in an external enclosure that connects to my firewire which is perfectly fine and connects fast. I just would rather have all of my components inside and that damn blue light and spinning noise that the external enclosure emits is annoying.

Little help. I think I would need some sorta converter switch for the SATA to IDE...If anyone knows I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IDE to SATA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IDE to SATA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
here is a google search

In reply to: IDE to SATA

Collapse -
pci interface?

You can probably find a pci card that you can connect your eide hd to. check out frys. they have every pci card you can think of.

Collapse -
Use an adapter for one of your two PCI-E x1 slots

You have two PCI-Express x1 slots (if I figured out your model number correctly, or "something like that") and there are lots of speedy and cheap (under $25) PCI-E x1 adapter to IDE cards.

Check out Google search: pci-e ide adapter

Info: The PCI-E x1 can handle up to 250 Mbps (millions of bits per second) whereas the faster IDE interface is rated at just 133 Mbps. So a PCI-E x1 interface should have no problem in keeping up with the IDE interface.

Collapse -
THANKS

In reply to: Use an adapter for one of your two PCI-E x1 slots

got the part for $20 and connected the HDD internally thanks all!!!

Collapse -
Re: got the part

In reply to: THANKS

What part did you get? I assume you meant an interface card, but using which interface? PCI, PCI-E, or something else? like maybe a USB-IDE adapter?

Tell us, let others know what model of interface you've bought and what have you found to work well, or not so well. The Forum here is for others to learn, too.

Collapse -
Given the part about being 'too lazy to look' . . I was

In reply to: Re: got the part

surprised by the 'Thanks'. Be more surprised if you hear more.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.