Computer Help forum

General discussion

IDE SATA conflict

The IDE drive on my four year old Athlon-based computer recently up and died, fortunately with most of the essential stuff backed up. I'd purchased a Western Digital Caviar SE16 250 bg internal drive to upgrade the hard drive in another machine, so I had a replacement for the drive that quit. Given the age of the machine, it didn't have SATA capability - no problem, I got a generic SATA controller card from Compusa. I installed that, installed the WD drive, and ran XP Setup, which allowed me to install the SATA drivers as part of the setup process. Also allowed me to partition the new disk as part of the XP installation process, which was a relief since I couldn't run the WD-provided disk utilities UNTIL the disk was partioned and formatted. Then in hardware setup - hit the Delete key during the boot process to access system BIOS - I disabled the IDE primary master, primary slave, secondary master, secondary slave drives so the system wouldn't waste time looking for them during the boot process.

Then I restarted the system and everything appears to be working fine, I've reinstalled four years of XP updates, etc etc etc. The system boots from the new WD with no problem and software reinstalls, reupdates, etc seem to go appropriately. The only problem, if it is one, is that XP identifies the hard disk as.....H drive, and this is the first desktop machine I've ever seen that identifies the only functioning hard disk as H drive. Since I've been horsing around with PCs since the Dark Ages (CPm, Msdos 1.0, etc), this makes me......uneasy. Therefore:

1. Have I committed some sort of egregious screwup?

2. Is there any way to force the machine to identify the SATA drive as C: drive?

Thanks in advance for any input and/or advice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IDE SATA conflict
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IDE SATA conflict
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Actually a known bug in XP.

In reply to: IDE SATA conflict

It does that if you have ZIP drives in the system. Microsoft seems to be loathe to issue a new installer to address this issue.

Bob

Collapse -
re: Actually a known bug in XP

In reply to: Actually a known bug in XP.

No ZIP drives, but several different memory card reading devices that show as d:, e:, etc. would this the same situation and is there any kind of workaround? I should mention that I have NOT pulled out the dead IDE drive as of yet.

Does this bug occur even with SP2?

Collapse -
Same bug.

In reply to: re: Actually a known bug in XP

Not cured in any issue of XP.

The supported fix is to remove what caused it and reinstall the OS.

Some will find this item incredibly hard to accept that it's been left as something that will likely never be addressed by Microsoft but I'll not enter into any more long discussions about this. Sorry, not wanting to offend you, just provide that it's a known issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Same bug

In reply to: Same bug.

Okay, got it. I was wondering about BIOS upgrades and all this other esoteric stuff, but system boots okay and is working well enough. it just makes me crazy to have to think of "H" instead of "C", plus of course the issue of so many programs looking for a C drive upon which to install. The Disk Management function in XP admin tools allows you to reassign drive letters, but.....not to the boot drive.

Thanks for the input.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.