PC Hardware forum

General discussion

IDE Harddrive Install Error

by Matt8729 / October 12, 2004 10:50 PM PDT

My old IDE harddrive (80gb maxtor) gave me the message "System disc error. Insert system disc and press enter.." something along those lines so i had to reformat it..at the end of the reformat it restarted the computer for me and booted back up but it gave me the same message..did it again and it gave me the same message..frustrated i ordered a new IDE harddirve..a 120gb 7200rpm 2mb Samsung IDE and hooked it up. Partioned and formated it and it restared my computer for me. When it booted back up it gave me the same message from the old harddrive for the new one. What do i do to make this new HD work. Any help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IDE Harddrive Install Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IDE Harddrive Install Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: IDE Harddrive Install Error
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2004 11:20 PM PDT

No OS mentioned so who knows if formatting was required or done proper?

Also, some forget to turn off the BIOS virus protection while installing an OS.

Bob

Collapse -
by billzhills / October 13, 2004 12:44 AM PDT

Matt

Have always found this error message to mean that boot files are not found.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812492

CAUSE
This issue may occur if your start device (such as a floppy disk drive, hard disk drive, or CD-ROM drive) does not contain boot files.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, use one or more of the following methods, and then restart your computer:? Remove the non-system disk from your boot device. For example, remove the non-system disk from the floppy drive or the CD-ROM drive.
? Change your computer's boot sequence. To do this, you must change your computer's setup and the option that controls which device your computer uses to start from. Make sure that you select a device that has boot files (or operating system files) installed.
? If you start your computer from a hard disk drive, install a bootable operating system (such as Windows XP) on the drive.

Bill

Collapse -
by Matt8729 / October 13, 2004 5:57 AM PDT

How do i get to the part where i can change what i boot up from. When i turn on my computer, it says Sony, then another screen comes up and at the bottom it says "Disc boot error. Insert system disc and press enter" i then reformated it and restarted but it did the same thing again.

Collapse -
You want to get into what is called the BIOS
by Ray Harinec / October 13, 2004 8:21 AM PDT

Basic Input / Output System, the program that starts the system by pulling it up by its bootstraps [thus we boot computers] LOL

However on most systems during the intial part of the boot you see something that says hit ???? to enter setup [so it is really called set up by the computer]. Some also call it CMOS because that is the type of chip technology that the BIOS is stored on. Set up allows one to modify the BIOS.

Many computers say to hit DEL to enter setup, but I don't know what Sony uses, Compaq uses F10 if I remember correctly.

Typical computer multi meanings i.e. one makes logical drives when one wants to create partitions. LOL

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) F2 for Sony BIOS set-up
by billzhills / October 13, 2004 10:17 PM PDT
Collapse -
by billzhills / October 13, 2004 10:27 PM PDT

Matt

Win98 and ME:
You must have boot disk to start system with CD support. At "A" prompt -> insert CD -> (type setup) -> follow prompts.
Look above prompt to see drive letter given to optical devices.

NT, 2000 and XP:
Boot to "Sony" screen -> press "pause" key ->
insert CD -> press any key -> follow prompts.
Or wait for error message then insert CD.
Watch for prompt "Press any key to boot from CD"

Sony uses F2 to entry BIOS setup.
Tab key (?) displays BIOS post screen.

Bill

Collapse -
by Matt8729 / October 14, 2004 10:42 AM PDT

I got into the setup part as you instructed me and used the IDE boot up and selected the Samsung HD and exited and saved changes but it still gave me the message. What should my boot up settings be in the 4 catogoris that were listed.

Collapse -
by billzhills / October 15, 2004 12:03 AM PDT

Matt

Win98 and ME the floppy should be the first boot device.

In NT, XP and 2000 the first boot device will be the optical device.

From your post the Hdd is the first boot device.
As their is no information on the drive the system does not know what to do... hence you error message.

Bill

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.