PC Hardware forum

General discussion

IDE DVD writer buffer problem

Hi there, Ive been battling with this problem for quite a while.
Ive got an 8x IDE DVD writer which worked perfectly fine in the beginning. Took about 13min to write a 4.7GB DVD. However at some time or other it started giving me issues. When writing a DVD in Nero the buffer level (not read buffer) fluctuate heavily, jumping from 30% to 70% and all over the show whereas before it'd stay pretty steady at around about 100%.
The result is that now writing a DVD takes almost an hour instead of 13min.

The first time I got it working properly again was after I formatted my system partition and reinstalled windows xp. It worked fine for a while then but after a bit the problem reappeared.

The Second time it came right again was after I thought it had something to do with my motherboard. I sent in the board to my supplier and they sent it back saying it was perfectly alright. After I'd put the pc back together again and redone the bios etc. it worked fine again. Then after my friend changed some bios settings to add an extra drive temporarily it went back to the old problem (even after resetting the settings to what they were before...)

Another friend told me he had a similar problem with his writer and had fixed it by settings the IDE channel transfer mode to "DMA if available" in the device manager. But its been like that on my pc all along.

Ive tried every various bios settings, exchanged the IDE cable, taken the whole pc apart and put it back together, updated my bios, etc. I'm at a bit of a dead end. Was going to format my system partition again tomorrow to see if that sets it right again. Has anyone got a clue what my problem could be? Any help would be more than appreciated..

Oh, perhaps some system specs:
2.4ghz Intel Pentium 4 processor
MSI 865PE Neo2 Motherboard
512MB DDR RAM
120GB Seagate HD
other hardware shouldnt really be of importance I guess...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IDE DVD writer buffer problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IDE DVD writer buffer problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
xtra info

In reply to: IDE DVD writer buffer problem

Oh and running windows xp professional

Collapse -
2 things.

In reply to: IDE DVD writer buffer problem

1. "had fixed it by settings the IDE channel transfer mode to "DMA if available" in the device manager. But its been like that on my pc all along."

The actual fix is to set it to PIO, click OK, then go back in and set it to DMA... and ok your way out. It's a known issue documented by Microsoft. Those that just look at the setting and don't change it lost out on a possible easy fix.

2. Parts age, media changes, dust on lens, and the list goes on with motherboard drivers and more. You need to review all this.

In closing, I always record at 1/2 the rated media speed. It's my way and it seems to be another reason I never have an issue.

Bob

Collapse -
didnt help..

In reply to: 2 things.

Thanks for the fast reply.
I tried what you suggested with the dma setting but didnt help. Have also updated my motherboard drivers and didnt help either. And even if I write at 4x it still takes forever... :S

Collapse -
Swap the recorder out.

In reply to: didnt help..

The laser can dim and the result can be slow record times.

Bob

Collapse -
hmm

In reply to: Swap the recorder out.

Hmm, seems a bit odd though since the drive isnt that old. Only had it for a year at most and dont see why it will then at times revert to writing at normal speed.

Collapse -
It's why I swap it early.

In reply to: hmm

Tech time is over 100 bucks an hour so we change it out early if there is any hint a new drive will cure it.

Bob

Collapse -
yeah

In reply to: It's why I swap it early.

yeah thatll be my last resortt. But i have a feeling theres something else to it. I dont think its the drive itself I think ive either got a prob with something in windows, whether its some sorta conflict or windows bug or its got something to do with some bios setting. Until I'm sure its gotta be the drive I wont send it back and wait for weeks to get it replaced.

Anyways, thanx your help thus far.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!