Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

ICS not working

by sunny_tolia / May 18, 2005 2:52 PM PDT

I've got 3 comps including this one with XP(SP 2)
'n 98SE(without any updates) on the other two.XP is connected to cable internet.So I've got 2 NIC on this machine since this is the ICS host computer.

However, I cannot share the internet
using the network setup wizard or manually
but I can share the files 'n printer.
Im using the standard patch cables with RJ45
connectors along with a switch to connect
the comps on LAN.

I've tried some online tutorials but they are somewhat different than one another and never really helped me out.

This is what I've done till now.
First of all I've renamed the two Local Area Connections in My Network Places to LAN(for local network) and WAN(for Internet)

For the NIC that is connected to the internet the TCP/IP parameters are provided by the ISP.In the General tab of WAN following things are installed:
1)Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)
2)Client for Microsoft Networks
3)File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks

Then in the Properties>Advanced tab of WAN I enabled "Allow other network users to connect thru this computers internet connection" as well as "Allow other network users to control or disable the shared
internet connection".

The General tab of the LAN properties also got the same 3 things installed with the IP as 192.168.0.1 'n Subnet 255.255.255.0

For the other 2 pcs I've set the IP addresses to be obtained automatically.All the pcs got the same workgroup name.

Plz help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ICS not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ICS not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you spare $30US?
by Dick White / May 19, 2005 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: ICS not working

Yes, ICS can be made to work and it's free as part of the operating system. But it is so much easier (and more robust and stable too) to use a hardware solution rather than the software solution. A nice 4 port D-Link router can be picked up for under $30 (net after rebate, shipping included) or a non-brand name router for under $20. As it is the policy of the forum here to frown upon advertising in our responses, those are just a few ideas from a place I've done business with in the past - I have no other connection to them. There are many other online and bricks-and-mortar stores selling similar equipment. If you are patient and look around, you can push the net cost even lower with sale prices and additional rebates. With only a modest investment, you can solve your immediate problem of shared connectivity and avoid a whole raft of future headaches keeping it all running.

dw

Collapse -
The frown is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2005 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Can you spare $30US?

Not on replies when such is asked for, but on top level posts announcing a product.

It's perfectly acceptable to offer a product as a solution with one fine exeption. There are a few that always note their product in all their replies. Those posts tend to vanish.

Bob

Collapse -
Yup...
by Dick White / May 19, 2005 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: The frown is...

You frequently link to a manufacturer's product page to show an example of a particular device, but for this one I wanted to take a step further and show how relatively inexpensive a different solution could be, so I linked to a reseller but I wanted everybody to know that it was just one possible source, there are other places you can shop and get similar prices, sometimes better prices.

For sure, an extra $30 might be a hurdle for someone on a limited budget, but for others $30 is cheaper than a toupee after they've pulled all their hair out trying to get ICS to work (and then keep it working).

Happy
dw

Collapse -
prob gone
by sunny_tolia / May 19, 2005 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Yup...

hey buddy the probs solved i forgot to put in dns
info. hehe how dumb of me

Sunny

Collapse -
Sharing my moment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2005 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: prob gone

Hmm, my pager wasn't working. My buddy looked at it, opened and flipped the battery over.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!