Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

ICS

by Kris321 / February 18, 2005 1:31 AM PST

Hi, i have WinXP SP2.
I have 2 computers connected in a network. The first is connected to a Speedtouch Modem via USB and then that computer (which is obviously the Host) is connected via ethernet to my other computer.
It took ages of messing around with settings to finally get the network to work with file and printer sharing and ICS on the computers.

However, I cannot connect to the internet from the client when the host is not connected to the interent. In other words the client PC can only access webpages when the host has dialed a connection (whether it is logged in or out). I cannot connect directly from the client PC - it just says 'page cannot be displayed'. I have to first dial on the host.

How can I change the settings (without ruining what i already have) to make it so that i can acces the internet on the client computer without having to go downstairs and dial it manually)

Also, a point to note is that I cannot seem to PING each of the computers via their names (FAMILY (host)and KRIS (client)).

Thanks for any help!
Kris

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ICS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ICS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry - PINGING
by Kris321 / February 18, 2005 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: ICS

I can ping my client computer from my host but I can't ping my host computer from my client.

Collapse -
" I cannot connect to the internet from the client when the
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2005 2:04 AM PST

" I cannot connect to the internet from the client when the host is not connected to the interent. "

Which is exactly how it should work. And why routers are very popular.

Bob

Collapse -
have
by neil.1 / February 18, 2005 2:31 AM PST

you got a hub...... they are cheap and should work both independently

Collapse -
Um, no it wouldn't
by Yew / February 18, 2005 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: have

A hub would just add an additional level of complexity for no gain in this situation.

Think of a hub like a cable splitter. Doesn't do you any good if you don't have any signal to split along the two cables.

Collapse -
Not really possible
by Yew / February 18, 2005 2:55 AM PST

There are ways to get the host system dial a connection if a client system requests some network service, but they're very unreliable and present a host of other problems.

For a dialup situation, I don't know of any solution avaliable to you. It's kind of broadband or bust, unless you can find a router with an analog modem in it.

Collapse -
ok
by Kris321 / February 18, 2005 4:24 PM PST
In reply to: Not really possible

Ok then, thanks anyway. i will forget about that. But is there a way to easily disconnect the host computer from teh internet using the client?

Collapse -
That's been one of the wished for items with ICS for years.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2005 8:05 PM PST
In reply to: ok

ICS is a simple solution. You can find replacements with more control on the internet. But with DSL/Cable, most don't bother to disconnect.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?