Computer Help forum

General discussion

Icons & pages smaller after power cut

by Mary T-205113508737904897 / August 5, 2009 2:50 AM PDT

Whilst using my computer last night there was a power cut. When the power came back on all seemed well with the computer.
However, when I started the computer this morning the desk top icons were very small and when I accessed the Internet, the pages were minute. I adjusted the DPI and the icon size. I used control and scrolled to alter sizes, but every thing was out of proportion. Tried altering the resolution in Display Settings, things still out of proportion.
I then used system restore. Immediately after the restore the desk top icons were the normal/correct size, this only lasted seconds and they reverted to the small size.

I am puzzled as to what went wrong after system restore. I have Windows Vista with IE7. I use Spysweeper and Norton Internet Security 2009.
The monitor is a Philips 200P7ES (Have tried the reset button on it)

Would it help if I delete the NVIDIA drivers then reinstall them?

Would appreciate any advice.

Mary T

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Icons & pages smaller after power cut
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Icons & pages smaller after power cut
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forgot to say
by Mary T-205113508737904897 / August 5, 2009 6:13 AM PDT

When I first got this this computer and connected the Philips monitor to it, it automatically set up correctly. Is there any way I can do that again without having to do a complete reinstall of windows?
Thanks, Mary T

Collapse -
Check under....
by Willy / August 5, 2009 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Forgot to say

Verify under the display setting that it acknowledges your video card and monitor by name. Does it see a Philips monitor model xyz123? for example. If yes, and all is well then redo, the setting again, apply and save before exiting. Because, you had a power glitch, this maybe a sign you have a failing device or component. No telling what power can do when lost or how the system reacts after such.

You can reload the drivers and see if that corrects it. If not, be sure your setting are supported under that device. Since, you mentioned Nvidia see if its own setting control panel can offer help besides using MS display setting panel. Its use is more precise and/or detail than MS.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Monitor shown in display setting
by Mary T-205113508737904897 / August 5, 2009 5:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Check under....

Thanks for the advice Willy.
The monitor shows OK in display settings. When the power went off, I had been ironing (in-between backing up my computer) The iron went wrong and threw the trip switch in the fuse box. I am assuming the power cut caused the trouble as all was fine up to then.
When I went opened an internet page it only filled the top left 3rd of the screen, but was in proportion. When I tried to make it fit the screen it showed everything very small. I tried all the adjustments, but this just caused distortion.

I am going to get rid of any drivers I find to do with the monitor (have found 3 up to now, 2 Nvidia & one Philips) When I do this, then reconnect the monitor will it automatically look for drivers, or could I be left with a blank screen?

Thanks, Mary T

Collapse -
RE: Check your Screen Resolution
by Tufenuf / August 6, 2009 12:09 AM PDT

Mary, Have you checked your Screen Resolution? Right click your Desktop, choose Properties, under the Settings tab>Screen Resolution move the slider a notch to the right which will produce a smaller number and should make your icons and text larger, click Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Tried screen resolution slider
by Mary T-205113508737904897 / August 6, 2009 4:24 AM PDT

Thanks for the advice Tufenuf.
Have moved the Screen Resolution slider to enlarge things, unfortunately this leads to distortion (icons and text out of proportion).
Tomorrow I intend to uninstall the drivers, then reconnect the monitor to see if that fixes things.
When I bought this monitor 2 years ago and connected it to the computer, it automatically found the correct settings. This is what I hope to replicate.

I am not sure of the best way of finding all the drivers and the correct way of uninstalling them.

Thanks, Mary T

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?