Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

Icons disappeared from system tray

Nov 24, 2006 9:30PM PST

Two icons have disappeared but occasionally reappear for one or two secessions. I believe this happened after the Microsoft updates early November but that may be just a coincidence. The programs are still running when I check in services and I am just wondering why this is happening. The icons that disappeared are Webroot's Spyweeper and Pure Network's, Network Magic, my network manager program.
My system specs are P4 2.8mhz 1024mb ram 160gb hdd running Windows XP Home.

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Re: Icons disappeared from system tray
Nov 24, 2006 10:28PM PST

pacifist, Right click your Taskbar, choose Properties, under the Taskbar tab click the Customize button, under Current Items hilite one at a time each icon and use the dropdown arrow button and choose Always show, click OK/Apply/OK. You may also want to go to the link below and under the letter "N" scroll down to "Notification Area - Icons Disappearing" where you'll find several other possible solutions.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

Tufenuf

- Collapse -
Re: Icons disappeared from system tray
Nov 24, 2006 10:44PM PST

pacifist, Before you try what I posted in my first reply right click your Taskbar, choose Properties, under the Taskbar tab at the bottom uncheck "hide inactive icons", click Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

- Collapse -
I don't have the hide inactive icons option set
Nov 24, 2006 11:58PM PST

I have gone to the web site under N as directed and see a couple of possibilities. One would be that I do not use a password to access Windows and the other is something to do with "disable SSDP and uPNP Services" I tried the password with no effect and finding the instructions or even understanding what the SSDP or uPNP seems to be beyond me so I think I will just leave well enough alone.
Thanks for the help

- Collapse -
Re: I don't have the hide inactive icons option set
Nov 25, 2006 12:03AM PST

pacifist, Did you try this?:

Right click your Taskbar, choose Properties, under the Taskbar tab click the Customize button, under Current Items hilite one at a time each icon and use the dropdown arrow button and choose Always show, click OK/Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

- Collapse -
I have all my icons set 'on' full time, hide inactive icons
Nov 25, 2006 1:51PM PST

has to be on for the customize button to become available.
Thanks for the advice though.

- Collapse -
network plug and play
May 20, 2008 7:16AM PDT

uninstall upnp from add/remove windows component and you ll see your icons back

- Collapse -
XP Taskbar disappearing icons - your tip worked!
Sep 13, 2009 8:27PM PDT

Many thanks for that tip - worked perfectly. All icons now back in bottom RH section.