Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Icon, toolbar, settings problems

by JaySilverman / December 7, 2006 2:48 PM PST

I decided to run a registry cleaning program a couple of nights ago without setting a system restore point, which may be one of the stupidest decisions I've ever made.

Right now, Windows XP is not saving my settings and acting rather peculiar. In particular:

-When I boot up, it does not remember to display the Quick Launch bar. I have to put it on manually everytime.
-My folder toolbar settings are never saved - when I click on My Computer, I want the "Address Bar" toolbar to always show. As soon as I click off My Computer, the setting is forgotten and the address bar is gone.
-When I boot up, my desktop icons are arranged by name and not in the custom arrangement that I created for them.
-Most frustratingly, once I arrange my desktop icons back into the order I want and align them by grid, they instantly revert back to the old "by name" settings as soon as I make any kind of application change. (I'm not sure I described this well, so I'll give an example. Let's say I go into My Computer, click on Tools, Folder Options, View. If I check any box or make any change and hit "apply," all of the icons revert back to the by name order and my 'align by grid' setting is completely forgotten despite the fact that my change had nothing to do with desktop icons).

I have tried restoring my system to a variety of points within the last week, but I have had no success; whenever I try, Windows XP gives me an error message upon booting up that says "Your computer cannot be restored to xxxxxx." I have tried making some registry additions on the Kelly's Korner website at the advice of other people. I am completely stuck, frustrated, confused and unsure of what to do next.

I am quite certain that this problem is somehow linked to the registry alterations I made a couple of days ago, but have no way of knowing for certain. It appears that my Windows XP is locked into a particular brand of settings that I do not want. But I could be quite incorrect about this. If there were somehow a way to bypass my System Restore problems, it seems as if the issue would correct itself.

I hope have described this well enough that someone can come along and help. If anyone has any ideas, please do let me know. Thanks.

Best,

Jay

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Icon, toolbar, settings problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Icon, toolbar, settings problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Did you try line #30 - kelly's korner
by tomron / December 7, 2006 2:57 PM PST
Collapse -
yes
by JaySilverman / December 7, 2006 3:01 PM PST

I tried Line #30 and the "Save Settings" on the right side of Line 54, too.

Jay

Collapse -
I was going to ask you about line #54 next
by tomron / December 7, 2006 3:06 PM PST
In reply to: yes

I did the same thing recently,ran regseeker with out a restore point.Had a minor issue,but it was solved,in fact i posted in this forum.

Tom

Collapse -
restoring
by JaySilverman / December 7, 2006 3:14 PM PST

Is there an easy way to restore that I'm not finding? I keep encountering the "Your computer cannot be restored to xxxxxx" whenever I try. Even when I gave it a shot in Safe Mode.

You had a problem similar to this? Was it due to something in Regseeker or something else? Would uninstalling Regseeker help or hurt?

Collapse -
restore issue
by tomron / December 7, 2006 9:42 PM PST
In reply to: restoring

To my knowledege after using regseeker i inadvertently removed something pertaining to norton.

I don't think uninstalling regseeker will help or hurt.

You write "Your computer cannot be restored to xxxxxx",is this how it looks,or are there numbers and/or letters there,if so,google the exact message.

Here are some links that might help, HERE,HERE,HERE

Tom

Collapse -
One more thing...
by tomron / December 7, 2006 9:45 PM PST
In reply to: restoring

Regseeker has a backup option.Did you use the backup option and try to export the entries that you deleted.

Collapse -
A recent member found this to work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2006 10:06 PM PST

They changed the setting then "logged out" then logged it.

It stuck.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?