Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Icon in taskbar

by DorisGeiger / January 1, 2007 8:01 AM PST

I cannot seem to make my sound volume icon stay in my taskbar. I have Winxp on my Gateway laptop. So far, I've unlocked the taskbar, then I went to my control panel and checked the box that said to put icon in taskbar. Then sometimes the icon would appear in the taskbar. Then I would lock the taskbar. Then the next time I rebooted, the icon was gone. Sometimes the icon won't even appear in the taskbar when I put the little check mark where it belongs in the control panel. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Icon in taskbar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Icon in taskbar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Icon in taskbar
by Tufenuf / January 1, 2007 8:09 AM PST
In reply to: Icon in taskbar

Doris, Go to the link below and under the letter "N" scroll down to "Notification Area - Icons Disappearing" where you'll find several possible solutions.

e.g. "Disable SSDP and uPNP Services"

"Tip: Volume Control disappears in the Notification Area. Once present, run this edit.

Save Settings on Exit"

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
re: icon
by DorisGeiger / January 1, 2007 8:25 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Icon in taskbar

Thanks but I couldn't quite follow that. Is there an easier way?

Collapse -
RE: re: icon
by Tufenuf / January 1, 2007 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: re: icon

Doris, First make sure that your Volume icon is showing in the Notification area aside of your clock then go to the link below and scroll down to line 54 (right column) and click on "Save Settings on Exit" and download the reg file. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Then locate that reg file and double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Note: Save that reg file to your desktop or wherever you normally save downloads.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
re:icon
by DorisGeiger / January 1, 2007 8:47 AM PST
In reply to: RE: re: icon

I can get to Save Settings on Exit but when the next page comes up there does not seem to be any download option.

Collapse -
Here's some info
by Tufenuf / January 1, 2007 8:52 AM PST
In reply to: re:icon

Doris, All you have to do is double left click on the words "Save Settings on Exit" and a download box should appear.

First make sure that your Volume icon is showing in the Notification area aside of your clock then go to the link below and scroll down to line 54 (right column) and click on "Save Settings on Exit" and download the reg file. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Then locate that reg file and double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

Note: Save that reg file to your desktop or wherever you normally save downloads.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
by DorisGeiger / January 1, 2007 9:03 AM PST
In reply to: Here's some info

When I double click on Save Settings on Exit the page that comes up says Windows Registry Editor 5.00
(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
"NoSaveSettings"+dword:00000000

(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run)
"SystemTray"+"SysTray.Exe"

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / January 1, 2007 9:08 AM PST

Doris, I have to go away for a while but I'll get back to you in a couple of hours so don't do anything more.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / January 1, 2007 10:57 AM PST

Doris, I'm assuming that you mean that when you double clicked on it you couldn't download it but it opened instead as your post shows. If that's the case go back to that link again line 54 (right column) and right click on "Save Settings on Exit" and click "Save Target As.." and when the pop-up window appears in the "Save in:" bar at the top use the drop down arrow and choose Desktop then click the Save bitton.

This should put that reg file on your Desktop and then double click it to merge the contents into the registry. You could also right click that reg file and choose "Merge".
Then restart your computer and see if the Volume icon appears in the Notification area where the clock is.

Remember to do the above after your Volume icon is showing in the Notification area aside of the clock.

Post back with how it goes and after you merge the contents of that reg file into the registry you can then go to your desktop and right click that reg file and choose "delete" as it's no longer needed.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
icon
by DorisGeiger / January 1, 2007 11:15 AM PST

I did exactly as you instructed and when I restarted my computer the icon is gone again. I'm sorry I'm so dense about this.

Collapse -
Re: icon
by Tufenuf / January 1, 2007 11:31 AM PST
In reply to: icon

Doris, You're not being dense at all. Let's try this. Go to the link below and scroll down to line 156 (left column) and right click on "Disable SSPD and UPNP Services" choose "Save Target As.." and when the pop-up window appears in the "Save in:" bar at the top use the drop down arrow and choose Desktop then click the Save button.

This should put that reg file on your Desktop and then double click it to merge the contents into the registry. You could also right click that reg file and choose "Merge".
Then restart your computer and see if the Volume icon appears in the Notification area where the clock is.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
icon
by DorisGeiger / January 1, 2007 11:42 AM PST
In reply to: Re: icon

Whew! That worked. Thank you so much!! Is there something I should have learned from this? As in, something I did to have caused it in the first place?

Collapse -
Doris: Good Job and
by Tufenuf / January 1, 2007 11:47 AM PST
In reply to: icon

Doris, Good job and you're not the only one who has run into this same problem. You didn't do anything wrong to cause it but Windows just does strange things at times.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
good job
by DorisGeiger / January 1, 2007 11:53 AM PST
In reply to: Doris: Good Job and

Thanks again!!

Collapse -
** Thanks **
by Wm Lane / September 17, 2008 2:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: icon

Hi There:

Just wanted to say a big THANKS to Tufenuf for the information on how to get my Volume icon to stay in the Notification area.

Bill Lane

Collapse -
One more thing
by Tufenuf / January 1, 2007 12:09 PM PST
In reply to: Icon in taskbar

Doris, After a couple of restarts and if the Volume icon stays where it's supposed to you can go to your Desktop and right click those reg files you downloaded and merged and choose delete as they're no longer needed. If you ever need them again you can go back to that link and get them.

Happy New Year,
Tufenuf

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?